Chapter 23

My head was spinning when I arrived back at the warehouse

My head was spinning when I arrived back at the warehouse. My chest burned as I ran out the car and into the abandoned building where I told Mike to meet me again.

Mike looked concerned as he saw me running and holding my bloody hand.

"What the fuck happened to you!?"

"You were right Mike! We were right all along. Adriano isn't who we thought he was, he's a fucking monster."

"What happened!?"

"He gave me a necklace earlier but it had a listening and tracking device in it. He heard everything! He knows who I am. He...he tried to kill me. I almost died trying to get away, he's still after me, we can't be here Mike!" My breathing was erratic as I recalled the events from earlier.

Mike grabbed me and pulled me out the warehouse and to his car.

"Listen, I'll tell you everything I know." I swallowed hard as I was ready to give up all of Adriano's plans.

"All of this wouldn't have happened if you weren't so fucking sloppy, you let your feelings for this criminal ruin the entire investigation!" He yelled and slammed his fists on the steering wheel. "FUCK!" He ran his hands through his hair. "You better have something good or I swear to god I'll finish the job for him!"

His threat didn't even phase me because my mind was still racing from earlier.

"He'll be at an auction in 3 days to kill that Valentino person I had mentioned, most of his men will be there as well. The crimes that he's going to commit there will be enough to put him behind bars for life." I spewed. My stomach churned as I told Mike Adriano's plans. The thought of Adriano being behind bars made my chest tighten but this needed to be done.

"I'll inform the captain." Mike spoke.

"Listen, I don't know if I'll make it past this week but please Mike, if there's any good left in you. Please make sure no harm comes to my parents." A lone tear escaped my eye.

"We'll get you setup in witness protection Zee, once we get rid of him everything will go back to normal."

"We're talking about the Mafia here Mike, witness protection isn't gonna do shit. I'm as good as dead, especially now that his right hand man Lucio, who hated my gut from the start got the orders to kill me."

Mike was quiet for a while.

"What did you expect Zeanna? Adriano's been evil from the start, whatever love you had for him means absolutely nothing to him. What did you think would've happened once he found out who you were?"

"I...I thought he was different." I was starting to feel the pain of the cut on my arm.

Mike looked at me briefly before looking back on the road.

"What did he do?" He nodded to my hand.

"After he found out who I was he tied me up in his cellar downstairs. He said he'd show me what happened to people who betrayed him. " I winced as I recalled the moment he used his knife to slice open my forearm.