Chapter 24

Auction Day

Auction Day

Mike came to the house extra early to fetch me. We needed to stop at the precinct first before we went to the auction.

Being back at the precinct felt so foreign to me. It also seemed like everyone heard the news because nobody even greeted me. They all side eyed me and when I looked their way they turned their head and pretended they didn't even see me.

Can't say I'm surprised at anyones actions.

Mike walked to the large conference room. The captain was already seated inside, along with a bunch of detectives and officers.

"Now that everyone is here, let's proceed." The captain announced. "As we know, we've been trying to get DeLuca for a long time now, and this is our chance. So, I need you all to be on your A game, and give me a hundred and ten percent on this mission. There is a lot at stake here."

"And how can you guys be sure you can trust miss traitor over here." One of the other detectives piped up.

Fair, that's totally fair. I did switch up and go over to the other side.

"Detective Mitchell knows what's at stake if she fucks up."

My parents

I automatically knew he was talking about them.

I'd do anything for my parents, and if saving their lives meant going along with the corruption that's happening in this precinct, then that's what I'll do.

I kept quiet during the meeting and our captain kept giving me murderous glances. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this, he'd just kill me and make it look like an accident.

Once the meeting was over, everyone gathered in the unit vehicles and started heading to the auction house. The location was about 7 hours away, by time we get there it'll be after 6pm.

I let them know everything that would be happening on Adriano's part, so the captain already had a plan based on that, the backup plan was very secretive though, they kicked me out the room each time it was being discussed.

I thought back to time before I got this case. How I thought the environment I worked in was a friendly one. I was absolutely mistaken. Every single person here was corrupt in some way.

I do know if I make it out after all of this. I'm getting as far away as possible from everything.

From this job, from Adriano, from this life.

I don't know what I thought would happen. This was a dangerous mission, maybe I was too in over my head. Regardless of the outcome I would've never been safe.

I would've died anyway, and that's when realization hit me.

"You two fucking assholes."

"What's your issue now Zee?"