Chapter 27

6 Months Later

6 Months Later

My brother and his goons will never see the light of day again, my business has never been better, everything in my life has been falling into place, but something was missing.

I visit her grave everyday.

I keep thinking about the choice I made a year and a half ago. Regret floods my body the minute I think about her.

I thought I could just delete her out of my life but even with her gone, she still lives in my heart, my brain, my house.

I can't find the courage to get rid of her things. I thought about selling the house but this is where her memories live and I cannot find it in me to get rid of the last remnants I have of her.

Closing my eyes, I opened them and found myself staring at the sealed envelope Malcom gave me six months ago.

I still hadn't opened it and I had no plans to. As the days goes by, I have been fighting the urge to open it, so, I think it's best to burn it.

Why did I even ask Malcom for it in the first place? What did I think was gonna happen?

"Even when all is right in your life, you still look like shit." I heard Lucio's voice from the door.

"Feel like it too."

"Why are you torturing yourself?"

"I don't know how to stop." I answered truthfully. "I don't know how to move on." I hung my head low.

"The first step is to get rid of her things." He reached forward to grab a pair of her shoes she left by the door.

"Don't." I said in a firm voice.

"And there it is."

"What?"

"That's the reason you can't move on. Even though she's gone, you're still surrounded by her. She's still plaguing your mind because look around you." He gestured to her things that were still in the same place she left them. "Or it's just maybe you don't want to."

He's right, I don't want to.

"Why are you even visiting the grave everyday? It's pointless."

Why was I going to the grave everyday? I sighed.

"Cut the shit Adria, since you got out of prison everything has been working in your favor. Business is doing phenomenal, you saved all those women, and Valentino will no longer be a problem. Life couldn't get any better for you but here you are, still stuck. You have the envelope, either put your pride aside, open it and do what you have to do or burn it and move on but you can't keep living like this. It's not healthy."

"Get out." I wanted to be alone.

Lucio simply shook his head before turning and opening the door.

"I wish you well." Was his last words before he walked out.

I stood up and walked to my fridge to find something to eat. When I saw it was empty, I called my local pizza shop and ordered a large pizza. I went to take a shower before before the pizza came.

I understood everything that Lucio said to me, but it's easier said than done. I missed her. I missed her more than anything. I missed her smile, her laugh, just her energy was enough to light up a whole room.

After my shower, I just sat on the bed. I felt immobilized. I didn't know what to do.

After about thirty minutes of this, I picked myself up and got dressed. Checking the time, I saw that an hour and thirty had passed since I ordered the pizza.

"Don't worry, I have it."

My mother sat at the dining table with the pizza box in front of her.

"Figlio, I'm worried about you."

"Mamma, Va tutto bene." (Mom, everything is fine.)

"Non ho allevato un bugiardo." She clasped her hands and looked at me. (I didn't raise a liar.)

I opened the pizza box and took a slice of pizza. My mom took one as well.

"Baby, you simply cannot live like this."

"I don't know how. I think I made the wrong choice mamma." I dropped my head in defeat.

"Deep down, you know what to do Figlio. You have all the tools to stop your hurt. You're just scared. Baby steps Adria, baby steps."

I knew she was right. Time to take these baby steps I guess.

"I just don't get it. The best love I've ever received in my life was all a lie?" I questioned.

"It wasn't a lie Adria, and deep down you know that." She gave me a soft smile. "I saw the way you two interacted, I saw the way she lit up when I mentioned your name. She smiled wide when you stepped into the room. That woman adored you, and I saw all of that just the first day of meeting her. That was no acting."

It didn't feel like it either.

After catching up with my mother, I sat staring at the envelope that was now sitting on my dresser. I put my pride aside and opened it. It took a minute before I read the piece of paper that was inside. Once I was satisfied I made a call.

14 hours later I found myself at the Norman Manley International Airport. Once I met my driver, we made our way to my first stop, moon palace.

I was in awe when I stepped inside to hotel lobby to check in. Unfortunately, I had no time to admire the beauty as I had make my way upstairs and drop my things off before heading back out.

My next drop off was in a area called Drax Hall country club. On the drive over I saw a vendor selling flowers off to the side. I stopped and bought a bouquet. Giving the security at the gate my info, my driver brought me to the address that I gave him.

Tipping the driver, I thanked him and sent him on his way. Typing in the code to the keypad, I went inside the house to see it was empty.

I sat down on the couch facing the door waiting for the occupant to return.