twentynine

raindrops

"I'm telling you, Jessica Clemens told Sarah Monroe that Louis had the clap so that Sarah would tell Bethany!"

"Jessica is such a bitch. If she wanted Louis she should've just asked him out." I respond flipping through the latest issue of Vogue.

"I know! And now everyone's talking about Louis, and Jessica doesn't want to be with the std guy so she's no longer interested."

"But he doesn't have an std, she made it up."

"Yeah but everyone thinks he has an std because not only did Sarah tell Bethany, but of course she told the whole school!"

"Sarah is such a gossip, Jessica should've known not to tell her."

Holding my phone between my ear and shoulder, I roll over to my other side and stare at the raindrops running down my window. I love when it rains. The gray skies and smell that hangs in the air. I wish it rained more in California.

"She is! I wanted to ask Harry how Louis is holding up but Monte said that she saw him and Niall ditch class."

And now my rainy day is ruined.

"Can we please not talk about Harry today? Everyone's right when they say he's a jerk and here I thought he was becoming an actual human."

Emma already filled me in on Harry Styles. Through her tears and snot she told me that she simply said hello to him and he went batshit on the lockers. Not to mention, he's been such a douche to me all week!

"Of course he's a jerk, that's what makes him so hot."

I'm glad we're having this conversation over the phone so she doesn't witness my eye roll or fake gag.

"You can only be so pretty and so much of an ass. I don't even know what I did, he's just been unbearable this week."

"You didn't do anything, Harry just hates everyone."

I don't want him to hate me.

"Leah? If he hates everyone and is a known ass, why do you like him?"

Genuine curiosity seeps through my words because if anyone should be able to answer that question, it's me. The problem is, I don't know why I like him even when he's being an ass. Maybe she'll have better insight since she's been obsessed with him this year.

"He's hot. I don't know, I guess I like the idea of taming the bad boy? Honestly, I think my crush started because he smiled at me one day and I thought 'wouldn't it be nice to have someone smile at me like that all the time'. I mean he looked so content and his eyes were like windows to his soul. It made me want to know what was in his onion. Anyway, It was just really nice to have someone look at me like I mattered to them."

I remember the day she's talking about. It was summer and we were at a beach party, everyone was there. Us girls were standing by the bonfire with drinks in our hands when Leah nudged me with her shoulder, her eyes trained on the boy about five yards away. The night before Harry had taken my virginity so when we made eye contact he sent me a smirk - or I guess smile - I remember it as a cocky smirk.