~Chapter Thirty Eight~

Isabelle's POV

It is the last race of the season. It's incredible how quickly everything has gone. My last weekend being a part of the McLaren team. Everything is so surreal and I'm on the verge of tears, but I know I need to stick through it for the boys who are out there on track.

As the race draws to a close and the boys look like they'll be finishing in P5 and P6, I start to think about my time here. The wonderful sportsmanship is something I'd never seen before. The fact that I got to be part of this team as a driver for a couple weeks meant everything to me. My friendships with everyone here have grown and I hope they never end.

Daniel and Lando crossed the checkered flag and people started high fiving and hugging. I just sat there and smiled, taking in everything that was happening. I had a content smile on my face. This team is something special.

After a while, Daniel and Lando made their way back to the garage and had a chat with their teams. Zak gave each of the boys a hug and a good pat on the back. It's been a good season for McLaren and you can tell that by the look on Zak's face.

Zak then made his way over to me with a massive smile on his face. He grabbed my hand, pulling me up from the chair.

"Can I have everyone's attention!" he said loudly, causing everyone to look over at us. "Today is Isabelle's last day here with us at McLaren. Isabelle, you have been such a light to this garage and I can say on behalf of everyone that we're all going to miss you. Even though you'll be here every weekend, you won't be in our garage as one of our members. We're all so happy that you've got a spot in a team for next year as a driver, and we wish you all the best"

Everyone clapped and cheered, then Daniel and Lando walked over.

"There's finally going to be some good competition out there next year" Daniel laughed. "Ok but in all seriousness, you've done everyone here proud. Those couple weeks you were out there, it showed everyone that you deserve to be in formula one, and I'm so glad someone took the opportunity to put you on their team. I'm sad that my fellow Australian won't be part of McLaren anymore, but that won't ever stop us from being friends"

He took a few steps closer to me, wrapping his arms around my tightly. "Love you Daniel" I told him, then he let me go, giving me a fist bump.

All the attention was now on Lando. Everyone knew that he was going to want to say something, we just didn't know what. Ever since we were in Australia a couple weeks ago, things have been different. Something happened the morning after the party and he's been different. I haven't had the chance to properly talk to him about it because I've been super busy with AlphaTauri, but things are definitely different. We've started talking a little bit more, which is good, but it feels...different?

Lando cleared his throat. My heart was racing a little because I was nervous. "There's no doubt that you and I did not have the easiest start when you joined McLaren. We didn't even want to be in the same room as each other"

I laughed a little bit remembering what it used to be like between us. We hated each other so much. Things are so different now.

"I never imagined being out of racing for as long as I was, but I'm glad that it was you who took my place" he continued. "It showed me, and everyone else, how strong and determined you are. You showed everyone that you belong in this sport and that you will do everything in your power to make that happen. Everyone adores you. All the fans that wear McLaren merch probably support you more than they do Daniel and myself"

There were a few chuckles throughout the garage as people were agreeing with what Lando had just said.

Lando turned and made eye contact with me, my heart rate picking up even more. "I can't imagine what things are going to be like here without you, but what I do know, is that you're going to kick ass out there in that AlphaTauri car next year"