Chapter 2

Narrator's POV

Knock, knock, knock

Tomioka was startled to the sudden knock on his door.

'Who might that be?' he thought.

"Excuse me, Tomioka-san, it's me, Kamado Tanjiro, may I come in?" he said politely but he didn't answered. "Okay, I'm coming in"

'What is he doing here? I didn't expect him to pay me a visit. No, I think I didn't hear it right. He's going away, right?' he internally panicked. His door opened and Tanjiro appeared. He sat in front of him.

"What are you doing here?" he madly asked.

Tanjiro tells him everything what happened in his day and ask him questions which he didn't answer.

"So, Tomioka-san, can I ask you to train me after I recover?" Tanjiro politely asked.

"No" he nonchalantly replied.

"Eh? Why? I can sense anger in your voice, why are you mad?"

"I'm mad because you didn't master the breath of water" he answered coldly.

"I'm sorry I can't, Tomioka-san. It's not rare to change breaths. And the breath of water is one of the basic breaths and I think it doesn't suits me" he said. Tomioka looked away to avoid eye contact.

"That's not what I'm talking about. I needed you to become a water pillar because I'm going to retire soon" he stood up and he went outside.

'Eh? Why?'

He followed Tomioka and he talks non stop. The next four days, he found the river and got lost and then he gave in. His back facing Tanjiro.

"When I was thirteen, I meet a boy whose the same age as me. His family got killed by demons just like me, his name was Sabito. We got along right away and we went in the same selection. But he was the only one who died while I was passed out and considered pass in the selection. He was selfless while I was busy protecting myself but I got injured. When I woke up, it was done and he's gone. I'm not worthy to become a Water Pillar. If he's still alive, he would've been the water pillar instead of me. Go back to the butterfly estate and rest, you're wasting your time on me" he said nonchalantly and starts walking away.

"Tomioka-san, I-"

He stopped and said "Tanjiro, I'm a man without any value in life. I don't deserve this kind of life" he cut Tanjiro off and badmouthed himself. Tanjiro was surprised to hear his words. Tomioka was just saldly standing waiting for Tanjiro to talk.

' "I'm a man without any value" I think I heard this before." he thought then a man with hanafuda earrings appeared in his mind that he didn't know who. Tanjiro starts tearing up.

'Please dont say that, Tomioka-san. I know how it feels because back then, my family was killed while I was sleeping without any worries and after that I was thinking that it's better off that I'm dead instead of them. But we can't turn back the time, no matter how you badmouthed yourself. You're a pillar now, you don't have a choice but to live with it. But I can't say anything, I know nothing about Sabito and Tomioka-san but there's something I wanted to ask him'

Tomioka was about to walk but what Tanjiro said surprised him.

"Tomioka-san, isn't whatever entrusted to you keeping you two together?"

His eyes widened at the question and a memory flashed in to his eyes.

Smack!

Tomioka fell to the ground as Sabito slapped his left cheek.

"Sabito" he said while holding his left cheek.

"Don't say that you're better off dead ever again. If you say it again, we're done being friends. Your sister was supposed to get married the next day then she hid and protect you from the demon. And you said you have nobody? That's nonsense and an insult to your sister. You can't die. That life she lost to protect you, that future she left for you? They're still with you, Giyuu" his eyes widened while holding his left cheek where Sabito slap him.

'Why did I forget that? It was important. Whenever I think about it, my tears won't stop falling. I get depressed and it's too painful for my heart to bare.

Tsutako nee-san

Sabito

I'm sorry for being immature.' he internally said it to himself sadly.

' Oh no, he stop moving. Did I say something bad to him? Hmm.. I know, we should have speed eating contest. Maybe he feels better if he wins and change his mind and heart. Tomioka-san is a shy guy and doesn't want to talk, it's perfect'

Tomioka turned to Tanjiro.

"Tanjiro, I'm sorry, I-"

"Tomioka-san, want to have a cold soba eating contest with me?" he asked with determination. Tomioka tilt his head in confusion.

'Why?'

They went to an eating store and they ate as many as they can. And after that, Tomioka wins the contest.

"Tomioka-san, do you have any friends among the pillars?"

"Hmmm... Well, I think I consider Kochou as my friend"

"Now that you mention it, you two should get along because I think that you two are close"

"Not really, she keeps bugging me and always says that no one likes me. It's kinda hurt, you know" he said frowning.

"Well, maybe you can give her something just like flowers" he said in a happy tone.

"Flowers? But she already has a garden" he said mix with a sad tone in his voice.

"You're right but just try it, I know she will like it, Tomioka-san. I know you can do it" he said while patting his back gently. Then suddenly, Tomioka smiled to him.

"I guess so, I'll try" Tanjiro was happy to see Tomioka smile and he admitted that he's quite handsome when he smile.

I'm sorry if I suck at writing and sorry for the wrong grammars.