Free

(Y/N) POV

It didn't take me long to recover from the infection. I guess in this world, wounds heal a lot faster.

Within a week, we were on the road again.

The small village was a nice place, but they were facing a famine...and wouldn't be able to support another 2 mouths to feed.

We thanked them and got out of their hair and we started the multiple week journey back to a village I forgot the name of.

I remembered the Chiefs name recently though, it's actually the reason why I'm coming back this way.

Kaila I think her name was. She's the girl who I helped become chief after their original one was found to be corrupted.

Seriously...the underworld is filled with bastards.

I don't know what system they had before Kirito came into power...but it turned a lot of people into terrible ones.

I mean...look no further than Kevin and Sam.

They've been very busy lately. Working around that small village so that they could repay the debt they owned them for helping me.

I felt bad...but it looked like they enjoyed helping someone other than Lauren.

That guy was a psychopath.

Sam and Kevin said their goodbye to the townspeople. I was inside for most of the week so I didn't get a chance to talk to most of them. They were good people I guess.

"My feet are blistering up, I haven't walked for this long in a while," Sam says as she rubs the bottom of her feet during a break.

Kevin carefully looked at her foot and a nasty look came across his face. He looked at me with his eyes filled with worry.

"Her entire foot has blisters," he mutters. I look at her shoes and I realize I've never paid much attention to them.

Whatever she and Kevin had on their fleets...it didn't look like a shoe.

I curse myself under my breath, I should've seen that.

But ever since that poison almost killed me a week ago, my mind hasn't all been there.

I miss small details, and even something like bad shoes went by me.

"Next town, we can get you two a pair of shoes," I say as Sam nods and smiles a little.

I look at Kevin and he is looking into her eyes...deep in thought.

If I was being honest...I was jealous of them.

They are around my age in the real world...I would give a heart and a limb for that to be Kate and I.

My pretty bluenette...I miss her a lot.

I miss snuggling with her.

Teasing her.

Her soft lips.

"Almost 3/4 done," I remind myself...still I have over 60 years until I can see her again...she's still a lifetime away

I must have teared up, because Sam looked at me concerned

"Is something wrong?" She asks as Kevin now looks at me.

"Yeah dude? Why are you crying?" He kindly asks.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just you two remind me of...my own missus," I say trying to smile.

"What happened? Did she...you know...die of old age?" Kevin asks as I laugh a little