Friend's Don't Fade Away

Kali pressed the tips of her fingers to her temple as she watched Leanbow, and RJ circle one another. It had been almost twenty-four hours since the Porcupine attack on Ocean Bluff, and while everything there had turned out perfect, things with RJ were still going downhill.

The Wolf Master was in flux, as Eithne had called it. Battling for control against his Animal spirit. She couldn't be certain how long the issue had been going on, but she could tell Kali that it had happened quite recent.

"How's it going?" Nick asked, appearing behind Kali and wrapping his arms around her waist.

Kali shook her head. "They're just assessing each other," she said. "I can't hear what is being said, Leanbow cast a silencing charm, and RJ is changing between human and animal. Your father is good, though, he seems to know how to calm the beast."

"Dad's more experienced than us," said Nick. "So, it's not much concern that he knows what he is doing."

"Mhm. I just wish I know why RJ didn't tell us this was happening."

"Maybe he didn't want to add to your burden."

Kali glanced sideways. "He's not a burden," she said. "Besides, if this was happening to me, and I hadn't said anything, he'd been pissed off. We're a team. We're supposed to tell each other everything."

Nick kissed her shoulder. "I know, but, you have had a lot going on these last few months - the wedding planning, fighting the Dai Shi, RJ's abduct - where are you going?" he asked, as Kali untangled herself from him and headed for the arena where RJ and Leanbow were. "The silencing charm is up for a reason."

"To stop me from listening in," said Kali.

"Yes, but if that is up then dad probably put a -" Nick broke off. As soon has her hand had come in contact with the door, Kali was thrown across the room by some invisible barrier.

Kali groaned as she collided with the far wall. "Ow!" she whined, pushing herself into a sitting position and glaring.

Nick snorted, trying to cover it as a cough, but failing. He grinned as Kali met his gaze with a glare, and jogged over to her, holding out his hand.

She swatted away his offer of help and stood.

"I did warn you," said Nick.

"Yeah, thanks," said Kali, shortly. She rubbed the back of her head, feeling a bump already starting to form.

Nick eyed her curiously. "What's so important that you have to get in there now for, anyway?" he asked. "What did I say?"

"All this weird behaviour started happening after RJ was rescued from Dai Shi," said Kali. "What if he did something to RJ? Something we missed. Something I missed?"

"Okay," said Nick, still not following.

"I'm supposed to be the Hellhound," said Kali. "I'm supposed to be able to detect when something is amiss. I'm not doing a good job if I failed to notice this." She pointed at the sealed door.

~X~

Eithne cocked her head to the side as Kali popped another load of Aspirin, choking them down without any water. "Should you be taking that many painkillers so close together?" she asked.

"I wouldn't have to if this headache would do one," said Kali, pressing the balls of her hands into her eyes. The pain wasn't just in her head, it was behind her eye sockets, too.

"If it's relentless pain then it's probably not a headache," said Eithne. "I was actually coming to tell you that there's been a shift in the darkness. I'm sure Leanbow has told you about the Overlords, right?"