Chapter 10

School went by really uneventful. I hardly spoke at all, not having the energy to do so. I was up late last night, not being able to sleep. Lets just say that I looked like crap this morning and whenever someone even looked at me the wrong way, I was fuming. I couldn't tell you how many time Bridget had to hold me back from hitting a couple of dumb jocks. I was not in the mood for any crap. By the time school let out, I walked to the bulletin board to check the dance team list. Even though I was in a bad mood, I was still really nervous deep down. I wanted this more than anything.

As I scrolled down the list, my eyes went wide. The last name on the list was mine. I got it. I GOT IN!!! Immediately I smiled, my face lighting up.

"Cass, did you...." Bridget stopped as soon as she saw me. Her confused expression turned excited as we squealed together. "You got in!!" She exclaimed.

In the midst of our squealing a certain queen bee came up. "Don't get too excited. I can still drop you from the team if you're not good enough. Practice starts tomorrow right after school. " She sneered.

"Good enough? She's better than you'll ever be Alissa." Bridget commented, rolling her eyes.

This made her stop in her tracks and turn around. "What was that curly top? Why don't you go ask your drunk parents what I think." With that, I felt Bridget tense up next to me. Her eyes narrowed into slits. This time it was my turn to hold someone back. My friend lunged toward the girl who in turn stepped back in surprise. I grabbed Bridget and towed her down the hallway.

"Bridget what's going on?" I asked, shocked at the outburst. She's never like that.

"It's nothing. Alissa is just being...well...Alissa." I could tell something was bothering her, but I knew she would tell me on her own terms, and I was okay with that.

"Okay....well, let's go home. You can come to mine and we can get some ice cream to celebrate. Sound good?" At the mention of ice cream, Bridget's eyes lit up as she shook her head quickly.

"Yeah. Sounds good. Let's go." Arm in arm we walked outside and to her car. Bridget had a cute little green Bug. I climbed in and we drove out of the parking lot.

Heading home we listened to whatever was playing on the radio, cheering each other up with our horrible singing. Finally, after about 4 songs, we reached the house. She parked her car off to the side then we grabbed our bags and went inside. Aunt Claire wasn't there but a note was on the table.

Boys and Cass,

I'm out at a doctors appointment then I am going to run a few errands. Money for dinner is in the cookie jar. No parties and no leaving the house.

Love, Aunt Claire/Mom

"Well, looks like us kids have the house tonight." I smiled. Just then, the boys stumbled in. Wayne was a bloody mess, literally.

"Oh my gosh, what happened?" I exclaimed. Bridget looked just as shocked.

"He had a run in with Carter. Dude kept insisting Wayne scratched his bike." Steven said, rolling his eyes. Derek left the room, probably to get the first aid kit in the bathroom.

"Carter did this? I didn't see him at school today." Wayne looked up at me.

"There's this thing called skipping." Blood dropped from his lip and a bruise began forming on his jaw. He definitely had a black eye. No doubt more wounds lay beneath his clothes. Man, Carter really did a number on him. Wait, Carter did this. That scumbag.

"Bridget, go patch Wayne up, I'll be right back." My face began getting red from anger. Bridget didn't seem to mind helping Wayne, she jumped at the chance. Inside I was smirking. I was totally gonna hook the two up. They would be so cute together!

I stomped up to my room and out onto my balcony. Carter's motorcycle was parked out front signaling that he was home. I grabbed. A handful of rocks i kept on the balcony for such occasions and started throwing them at his window. After I finished off about half the rocks, Carter finally opened his window.

"What?!" He growled. His jaw was clenched, a bit of bruised. Next to his left eye but barely a scratch compared to Wayne.

"Are you serious?! You beat up my cousin!" I yelled, I clenched my fists and grit my teeth.

"Yeah, so? He deserved it. He scratched my bike!" We were both yelling now, neither one of us seeming to care if we were heard.

"You know what, you just can't get over yourself! You're just mad that you're little kiss didn't work on me!" Lies. "You feel like blaming everyone else because you didn't get what you wanted! And that's really low Hunt. Really low." I was mad. More mad than ever.

Carter's angry expression completely washed away and was replaced by shock and a bit of hurt. He didn't speak for a bit, just looked down and took a few deep breaths. "You don't understand..." With that he walked back into his room, shutting his window.

I groaned and stormed into my room, slamming the balcony door so hard I swear I heard it crack. I stomped down the stairs and into the living room. Wayne was laying on the couch, Bridget next to him kneeling on the ground cleaning up his face. I sighed and walked into the kitchen where the other two boys were. Steven was sitting on the island and Derek was leaning against the counter. I hopped up next to Steven and laid my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes.

"What's wrong with you?" Derek asked softly.

"Just been a crappy week." I announced. And it was true. Aside from the fact that I got on the dance team, it has been a pretty crappy week.

"Oh, and I got on the dance team." On the outside I just seemed nonchalant, but on the inside I was so excited.

"You what??" The two boy questioned in shock. Steven sat up straight and looked at me with wide eyes. Derek was doing the same. I sat up and groaned.

"I auditioned yesterday and made it in." I said, trying to hold back the excitement building up inside of me.

"That's amazing!" Derek hugged me.

"It must have been hell for Alissa. She's gotta be mad." Steven chuckled. "to have a dancer who could beat her straight out of the captain spot....wow. I'm surprised."

"Wait, how do you know Alissa and how did you know I could dance?" I asked. I hadn't shown them anything that I knew of.

"Found some of your old dance videos." He scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"Oh gosh." I rolled my eyes.

"And Steven and Alissa use to date." Derek spoke up, giving his brother a smug look. Steven gave his either a hard look. I'm guessing things ended badly between the two.

"Doesn't matter. It's over. Now, to celebrate, we will have ice cream and cake!" Derek announced, already pulling out ingredients for the cake. I chuckled and hopped on the counter, walking back into the living room. Wayne was asleep and Bridget was just looking down at her hands.

"What's wrong chica?" I asked my best friend. She looked up at me with a sad expression.

"Nothing. It's nothing." She stood up and walked to me, plastering a fake smile.

"No, come on. Let's go to my room and talk. Derek's making cake and ice cream."

I led her up the stairs and to my room. We got comfy on my bed before she began to speak.

"I like Wayne." Well duh. You make googly eyes at him all the time. "And....I want to tell him but I'm scared. I don't know what he'll say." She bit her lip.

"Well, I could possibly get some info out of him. Maybe he likes you back. He is my cousin after all." I smiled a bit.

"Would you?! Please?!" Her eyes lit up as she jumped up and down on my bed.

"Of course what are friends for?" We hugged then just talked about random stuff until Derek called us down.

Maybe things were starting to look up. I didn't need Carter in my life and he certainly doesn't seem to need me. Time to just forget about him.

(Super long chapter for you guys! Picture is Mia)