Chapter 1

I opened the door to my new room. It was actually really pretty and had a lot space than my old rooms. There was also a balcony leading out of two French doors. I opened the doors and walked out onto the balcony. I expected to see a beautiful sight, but I was wrong. Sadly, my balcony overlooked the bedroom of the house next door. Thankfully the window was closed. Walking back into my room consisting of light purple walls, white furniture, and a dark purple comforter, I began to unpack my clothes into the huge walk in closet I hat. This lady must be loaded. The house itself was huge. Not "mansion huge" but still really big.

It was around 5, 3 hours since I'd arrived, when the oldest, Derek knocked on my door and walked in. I'd unpacked everything and was just laying on my bed, eyes closed, listening to music. He nudged my shoulder, waking me up. I took out my earbuds and focuses my attention on him. He had this aura of authority surrounding him that made you pay attention.

"Mom made dinner, we are having spaghetti, why don't you come down and join us. You haven't left your room since you got here." He said, a look of pleading in his eyes.

He was right, I hadn't left. Not even for the bathroom because of the on-suite I had. I sighed and stood up stretching.

"And Cassie, are you alright?" He asked.

Those three words I've heard since my start of high school. "Are you alright?" It was sickening. I'd cried out all my tears when my parents died, not leaving any for when my grandmother passed. Now all I felt was numbness. I just didn't feel anything. The spark I had so long ago was gone, my skin didn't have it's natural glow, and my blue eyes were dark, no light whatsoever. I was like a zombie, going through everything one day at a time.

I snapped out of my thoughts and nodded at Derek. I knew he meant well, and I appreciated it that he tried, but there was no way my heart could fill up again. I'd lost too much. My heart would forever be missing a piece.

Giving me a side hug, Derek led me through the hall and down the stairs to the huge dining room. There were 5 places set. That's when it struck me, what about my aunt's husband? Where would he sit. Speaking of which, I haven't seen him. I tugged on Derek's arm and whispered in his ear.

"Where is your dad?" I asked.

I could see Derek stiffen up at my question. "He left a few years ago." The venom in his voice was unmistakeable. For someone who seemed calm all the time, this was actually a bit scary. I guess that's a tense subject to talk about.

"I'm sorry." I said though my monotone voice would have shown differently.

Derek shrugged and again he was back to normal. Already I knew how this boy worked. It was crazy.

I sat down in my seat, across from Steven and next to Wayne. We said grace and then began eating. I ate in silence, watching the boys talk about whatever they'd done recently until my aunt, Claire, caught my attention.

"Sweetie, you'll be starting school in next week, you and I can go out shopping one say to get you some new clothes and school supplies. Sound okay?" She asked,focusing her attention completely on me, not paying attention to the screaming boys around us.

I nodded. "Thanks." I said, one of the first words I said since getting off the plane here.

She gave a small smile and nodded, directing her attention back to the boys, quieting them down a bit. At that moment, I stopped eating and looked around. I realized just how happy this family seemed, without a dad. I mean, they seemed as if it was nothing at all. I envied that.

----------------------

Dinner ended and I helped clean up the dishes before going up to my room and into my walk in closet. I pulled out my pajamas and slipped off my old clothes, putting on the soft fabric. I threw my old clothes in the hamper and went into the bathroom. Wiping off what little makeup I wore and brushing my teeth, writing my self a small note, sticking it to the mirror.

Things will get better.

I felt as though I needed to. As much as I moped around already, I felt as though doing so here would just completely waste my life. This was suppose to be a fresh start. I was intending to make the most of it.

Walking back into my bedroom I saw all 3 boys sitting on my bed. I let out a small scream, covering my mouth.

"Wow Cass, didn't expect you to scream at our presence. I know we are good looking, but no need to shout." Steven said, winking at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Good looking my ass." I lied. "You all just scared the heck out of me. Why are you in here?"

"Such language!" He put a hand to his heart in mock hurt. "But anyway, we have some rules we need to discus." Wayne pulled out my rolling desk chair and pushed it to me. I sat in it, a bit worried.

"What rules do you have in mind?" I asked, warily.

"Well, for starters, curfew is 11pm. No later." Derek started. I was shocked. My normal curfew is 9:30!

"Also, you get $100 a week for food and whatever so use it wisely." Wayne said, smiling at my suprised reaction. I mean, who wouldn't be surprised. One hundred dollars a week!

"Lastly, stay away from the boy next door." They all said in a serious manner. Wow. Must be a pretty bad kid.

"Why?" I ask, shrugging. "Who is he?"

"His name is Carter Hunt. He's....lets just say he is definitively someone to stay away from." Derek warned.

My eyebrows rose a bit. "Alright. Whatever."

The thee boys smiled at me and before I knew it, we were in a group hug. I looked at the three boys who, even though just met me awhile ago, loved me and cared for me. And for the first time in awhile, I smiled.

(Picture is Carter)