Chapter 13

Carter and I made our way to the ice cream shop later that day. We spent the whole way talking about random stuff and it turned out that he wasn't so bad. We liked a lot of the same stuff but definitely had our differences. For example, I think Xmen Wolverine Origins is soooo much better than Xmen First Class, but Carter doesn't seem to think so. I mean, who knew he was such a comic book nerd!

I got my favorite ice cream, Mint Chocolate Chop and Carter got his favorite, Strawberry. We sat and ate, chatting away. I couldn't believe how easy it was to be around this kid. He and I fought so much, yet times like these seemed to be so much fun. I feel like things could change now between us.

"Cassidy, can I ask you something?" Carter asked as we finished off our ice cream cones.

I smiled at him and nodded. "Sure. Anything."

"Can you....umm....not mention any of this tomorrow?" He scratched the back of his neck.

It was like a shot to the heart. "What?" My breath was gone.

"Just, lets keep this between us. It's been a great few hours but...we both know this isn't our thing." He finished then checked his phone. "I gotta go. I'll...see ya around."

And with that, he left me standing on the sidewalk. I watched as he disappeared out of sight. It was as if my heart crumbled. Of course it wasn't because I had a crush on him or anything, but I thought today changed things. I guess not.

That evening I laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Dinner wasn't too appealing so I didn't eat. I just thought about what Carter told me. Was I really not worth it? All he cared about was his stupid reputation. The nerve of that guy. No wonder he was a labeled the bad boy.

Sleep soon found me and I ended up going through a dreamless night.

The next morning I woke up a bit early, which I never do, and decided to make sure I looked absolutely irresistible. Carter would soon find out what he was missing. So, I took a shower and straightened my hair. I did my makeup all nice and decided on a tight blouse and cute skirt. Next were my knee length boots and bangles. When I checked myself in the mirror I almost ran back and changed because I was hardly recognizable.

I walked down into the kitchen to get breakfast. The boys were sitting at the bar eating breakfast and finishing last minute homework.

"Mom left early this morning. She had to run a few errands." Wayne said, not looking up from his paper.

"Thanks..." I grabbed a plate and piled it with pancakes and bacon that Derek must have put together.

"No." Speaking of Derek. I turned around to see the eldest boy looking at me. "Go change."

"No. I'm dressing like this if I want." My defiance caught some Steven and Wayne to took up. Both of their jaws dropped when they saw me.

"I'm with Derek. Go change." The muscle in Wayne's jaw jumped as he said that.

"Yeah. For once, I'm with my bro's." I was surprised Steven said that.

"Do I look that bad?!" My tone was exasperated and I was hungry. Why couldn't they just leave me alone.

"No. That's just it. You look freaking hot. Guys will be all over you and that's not always a good thing. Not all the guys at school are good." said Derek as he put some dishes away.

I was silent for a second before I spoke. "I don't care. I'm wearing this and you can't stop me." With that, i took my plate and sat at the bar. Stuffing my face, I tried to ignore the three boys around me.

This was going to be a long day.