Chapter 21

"I smirked and the cops busted down the door. Goon 1 and Goon 2 ran but were knocked down and handcuffed. My father and Nate took off, cops following after them.

"Are you guys alright?" A women officer asked, gun drawn.

We both nodded. My heart pained me to look at Cassidy next to me. We were led out of the building where a bunch of cops stood. But one group of people gasped as we walked out.

"Cassidy! Oh my baby!" A short women ran to her niece and enveloped her in a hug. Cassidy immediately froze and a look of terror crossed her face.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?" Claire asked, pulling away.

Before Cassie could answer three boys jogged over with a short girl next to them.

"Oh thank heaven, you're alright." They all said, hugging the girl who looked like she was going to burst.

"Come on, let's get home." Bridget said. "I need to speak to my best friend in private."

"I'll catch up..." Cassie said, letting her family and friend go before her. She hung back and walked up to me. I held my hand on my side, trying to hide the pain.

"Thank you Carter. You know, for saving me." She smiled a bit. "It was my decision, not yours."

I held onto that smile, knowing that she was doing her very best. She had a lot happen to her that no one should ever have to go through.

"Cassie come on!" I heard Steven yell.

I sighed and nodded my head at her. "I will always be there to protect you. No matter what."

She nodded and slowly kissed my cheek then headed to her car. She was halfway there when I heard a ruckus coming from building behind us. I saw Nate pull out a gun and point it at Cassie.

"Cass!" I yelled. She turned around and a look of confusion crossed her face before it all went blank.

The shot was fired and she dropped to the ground. The cops standing with us fired several shots, killing my half brother, but I had no sympathy for him. I ran over to the girl, kneeling down next to her. Her family got out of the car and crowded around her. I held my hand on her wound. She looked at me.

"Please Cassie...please stay with me." I whispered. I didn't care if her family heard or not. "I love you." Tears came to my eyes as I watched hers slowly close. The medics pushed us all aside and grabbed Cassidy. I tried to follow but Claire pushed me back

"You! This is all your fault!" She yelled, pointing a finger at my face.

I stood back, shocked. "What? I-"

"If you didn't just leave her alone, she wouldn't be in this mess!" She was fuming and her sons stood behind her with the same red face.

"I didn't mean for any of-"

"I will kill you if she dies." Derek threatened, bunching the front of my bloody shirt in his hands.

I stayed silent. I knew they were right. It was all my fault.

In a few minutes they left and I stood in my spot.

"You will always be a screw up Carter." I froze at that voice. Turning my head I saw my father smirking as he was escorted out of the house and to a police car.

I shook the thoughts from my mind and walked to another policeman. Asking him to take me home, insisting I didn't need a doctor, he agreed. I had to just stay away from Cassidy from now on. I can't hurt her anymore.

Another chapter! I'm trying to get this book done and make up for the lost time. I am sure I'll get this done here this week. Please don't loose faith in me. haha. Sooooo what do you all think? Is Cassie going to make it? What's Carter going to do?