Chapter 22

Cassidy's POV

I woke up to a very bright light. Wincing in pain I immediately shielded my eyes. When they got adjust I lowered my hand, only to find an IV protruding from it. I looked around to see I was in a white room in a white bed. 

"Oh you are finally awake!" I turned to my right and by the window stood Aunt Claire. She looked like she was about to cry. 

I tried to sit up but pain erupted in my side and I released my grip on the railings. My face contorted in pain as I lifted the covers to see a blood stained bandaged.

"Careful sweetie. The doctors just stitched you up. It's going to be sore for awhile." 

"What happened?" But I didn't need an answer because all of those painful memories resurfaced: Nate, Howie, the warehouse and...

"Where's Carter? Is he okay?" I asked.

Aunt Claire gave an uneasy look. "Cassie, maybe you should just rest. Don't worry about the boy. He's not someone you should be around.

What? Not someone I should be around?

"Aunt Claire, you don't understand. I made the choice to save Carter's life." I announced.

"I know, but you wouldn't have had to if you never got involved with him." She retorted.

"There's more to him than you think. He can be sweet, funny, kind, and amazing. He saved me in that warehouse and that's something I will never forget. Without him I would be dead. I have to see him. I have to thank him because...I love him."

I fiddled with the white blanket, not wanting to see Aunt Claire's expression. She was probably furious with me.

I was wrong. She carefully placed her arms around me. I was uneasy at first, but slowly relaxed. I was safe. "I know."

"Wait...you do?"

She smiled and pulled away, taking both of my hands in hers. "The way you look at him, the way you protected him. It was enough to see that you care more deeply for him than anything else."

"I want to see him."

-------

An hour passed and, after talking with my cousins and Bridget, they all finally left for lunch. I was checking my phone, getting rid of all the unanswered messages, when a knock sounded. I looked up to see the boy I'd been wanting to see.

"Carter..." I smiled, putting my phone down. He walked in, well more like limped in. His wounds were bandaged, but he still looked as handsome as ever. 

"Cassie I..." he began to say, but stopped himself.

"I thought I'd lost you." I said, tears coming to my eyes. He quickly came over and took a seat on the edge of my bed. Cupping my face in his hands, he wiped the tears away. Pulling me into a hug he rubbed circles into my back.

"Shhh we are okay. You're safe, I'm safe, and we are both here together." It seemed as though he were trying to convince himself of that.

We stayed there and hugged for a but before I pulled away. "Carter I...I love you." Instantly I bit my lip, lowering my head. I didn't want him to laugh in my face or cause me to make a fool of myself.

He placed a finger under my chin and lifted my head up so my eyes met his. "Cassidy Richards, I love you too." 

And with that our lips met. Instantly fireworks ignited in my body like they had done the first time. We kissed like we'd be taken away from each other at any moment. I pulled away a small bit, our foreheads and noses still touching. 

"What about your split lip? Doesn't it hurt?" I asked in a whisper, my breathing heavy.

"Totally worth it." And our lips met again. 

------

A week and a half later I was released to my normal life again. Every so often I'd get nervous in a huge crowd or think I'd see Nate. The only person I ever told about what happened between me and Nate was Carter. It was lucky Nate was already dead, because Carter would have killed him himself. Of course, we got together and I could't be happier.

Two years passed and Carter and I were in college together. He cut all ties with his old life and started new. The boys had to give him 'the talk', telling him that if he broke my heart, he'd be a dead man. Oh, and Wayne and Bridget got together. They're off in another school, but we still keep in touch. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. With Carter there, I was safe because I knew he wouldn't let anything hurt me again. He was there to protect me. He was my knight and I was his princess. 

HEY EVERYONE! SO, IT'S FINALLY FINISHED. IT TOOK A LONG TIME AND I THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO KEPT WITH ME. I WILL NOT BE MAKING A SEQUEL BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THE WAY I ENDED THINGS WITH THIS BOOK IT WOULD BE HARD TO MAKE ANOTHER. BUT IF YOU'D LIKE TO SEE A CERTAIN IDEA WRITTEN OUT THEN LET ME KNOW. ALSO, FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER WORKS. THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPORT IT REALLY MEANS A LOT. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!