Part Thirteen : It's Just a Cigarette

I woke up to a flying Denji and a four horned Power.

Aki explained to me that Power hadn't gotten her blood drawn, she was not in her strongest form currently.

I nodded along with Aki's words, chuckling at his silly little expressions.

It was good to see him so normal again.

He and I were seated at the table, Aki raised his arm to reach for something, causing me to flinch.

Such a small notion had caused a spark, the little bits and pieces were fused together.

Why now?

I could remember up until the age of ten, in shambles of course, but for some reason, it all was back to me.

Just not anything after.

Still, a lot had come back to me from my first ten years as a human.

"You always back away when I raise my hand." Aki said, he was asking a question that he knew the answer to. I could tell because of his sympathetic expression, it made me feel weak.

"Is it because of-."

"Yes, ok. I've gotten my memories back, well not all of them." I said, looking to the floor once more.

[A/N] TW: Abuse ⚠️

"My mother beat me when I was young, all I remember was when I was little. She beat me the most then, from what I can tell." I muttered, glancing at Hayakawa quickly then looking away again.

"When you raised your hand that time, it just switched to her."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know. Always tell me when you get your memories back." Aki said, his eyes were soft and kind, and yet they angered me in a way.

"I don't need your sympathy." I said turning away, I was being a dick.

...

I felt bad about what I had said to Hayakawa, so I decided to make it up to him.

I held the box of cigarettes in my hands, he was seated on the patio.

I walked up to the door, sliding it open quickly.

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier, you were just trying to make things better." I said, playing with one of the cigarettes.

"A devil is apologizing to me? How strange." Aki said, ignoring my heartfelt apology.

"We do that sometimes." I said, tilting the box his way.

Aki took a cig, looking for a lighter.

I had lit mine already, prepared to hand him one as well, he pushed it aside and pressed his end to mine.

"The gas runs out of these so easily, I hate having to buy more." He said coldly, justifying his cigarette kiss.

He could've just said nothing, I didn't mind.

"I'm here to talk about my memories, you told me to inform you when things like that came back to me." I said, looking out at the vast city that laid before us.

Aki nodded.

I started with the basis, my father had always been out of the picture, and my mother was always bitter after that.

She beat me when I was disobedient, and even when I was, I never knew when she'd lash out.

I never made friends, their parents could become a liability's

I slept on a used matress, we only had one bedroom.

She didn't sleep with me since she was a bitch, and because she was a whore.

We got by because of her, but she became bitter with the thought of aging, her beauty was leaving her. My face angered her, I was so young back then.

Everything else after age then was tv static, the only other memory from my life was falling.

Aki hushed my lips, he placed his hands on my shoulders, bringing me into a tight hug.

It was the kind of hug in which neither party wanted to let go, a contest to see who would remain the longest.

"We should go out." Aki said, what did he mean by this?

Dating?

Dinner?

"What kind of going out do you mean." I said stupidly, my cigarette reaching its end.

"For dinner, we need to patrol anyways. I need credibility and experience if I'm going to be able to kill the gun devil." Hayakawa said, he had once returned to his stoic self. He was once again a workaholic.