Part Twenty-One : Are We Still Friends

It had been a long while since the last time we had received a letter from Makima.

I was scared, what if we were to wage war today. Any day could be the day in which my life changes forever.

The change would come at some point, and I would be nowhere near ready.

For now, the letter was not of that much importance. It was about a dance that would be held for those who worked at the Bureau, though retired members could come as well.

...

"Oooh, a letter." Denji chimed, he held up the envelope.

"The Bureaus symbol." Aki muttered, he glared at the familiar emblem.

I snatched the thing from Denji, quickly opening it up. I gasped when reading the contents, shocking the others.

"What the." I said, rereading the letter once more.

Aki came over and read the letter.

"The Bureaus holding some sort of dance." Aki said, I nodded, looking again at the paper.

"Why though."

"With them, you never know." Aki said, I nodded, not questioning him.

"What do you even do at a dance." I mumbled.

I had died before ever being able to experience one.

"You dance."Denji said, Power quickly crashed into the room.

"No, you eat all the food." Power shouted, she jumped up and down in her usual childish manner.

She was still wearing her glasses? She was truly getting into character, now she was going to be prime minister of Japan.

"It's probably some sort of scheme that Makima made up to keep people in their jobs. We lose a lot of members out of fear, or even just trauma." Hayakawa said.

Kobeni was a perfect example of that.

"The dance is tomorrow, I don't have a dress." I said, folding my arms.

"I'm surprised that you'd care about something like that." Aki said, by now the others had left us.

"Why shouldn't I, I'm a lady." I said.

'I do care about these things, I dress up for you Aki. You don't realize though.'

Aki waved his hands in front of his face in an apologetic manner.

"I didn't mean it like that. Look, I'll help you find a dress." Aki said, he patted me on the back and disappeared to his room again.

...

I found myself standing besides Aki hopelessly in the streets of Tokyo. 

His hair was in the usual top knot, he wore the same old suite, and yet, something felt different.

Something felt so special about today.

It felt like a wedding day, the bride would go out and pick her dress.

Today I wasn't walking down the aisle, I was just going to some stupid dance.

I wished that I was though.

I would be dressed in white, and Hayakawa would lift my veil, and I would kiss him in the most beautiful of places. We'd say our vows and run away on our honeymoon. We'd be able to live a normal life together, we could raise a family, take them to events. We could reminisce about our past, and the great fun that we had in our youth. Hayakawa and I could grow old together, being content with the fact that the other was still beside us. We'd live on forever in heaven too.

I shook my head, removing the thought from my mind.

I could never marry Hayakawa, he could never marry me.

We were cursed, and we were running out of time.

I glanced at Aki, I was thankful for this day, for these moments.

I couldn't help but feel content, just being here put a smile on my face.

We approached a small little boutique, Parakiss.

Immediately Hayakawa began bringing different dresses to try on.

I was thankful to this, since I wouldn't even know where to start.

I disappeared into the changing room, reappearing with a new dress on each time.

"What about this one." I said, holding up a cute little dress.

"It doesn't suit you." Aki muttered, so he was going to be picky.

I continued on with more dresses, none fit his standards, and to some extent they didn't fit mine either.

He'd like one, and I'd dislike it. I'd like one, and he'd make a sour face. 

None of them seemed to work.

I was beginning to realize how picky I was becoming too, at least when it came to dresses.

I nearly gave up hope, though the owner had stepped in this time.

She brought out a beautiful maroon dress. It was so revealing, though so beautiful.

I took the dress and disappeared into the changing room once again. 

I stared at myself, feeling so exposed. The dress gently hugged my skin, it fit perfectly, revealing my curves. If I could call them that.

I knew that this was the one because I now wanted to surprise Aki. I didn't want him to see me in it right here and now.

I wanted it to be a magical reveal at the dance.

I regrouped with Hayakawa, I told him that this was the one. He didn't complain this time.

"Next time, don't take me dress shopping. I'll ruin it." Aki said, I chuckled.

Would there be a next time? I hoped so.

...

"We should get something to eat." Hayakawa stated, my stomach made a large growling sound. I sunk my head in shame.

"Yeah."

Aki reached for my hand, interlacing my fingers with his. He told me that it was cold outside, and he wouldn't stand for my complaining today. Though I knew it was all an act, and he knew too.

He wasn't sly, well sometimes he was. 

He was a strange lier, always doing so in the strangest of moments.

He lied at the wrong times.

I glanced at our hands. Hayakawa's were torn and beaten. Mine were stained and dry, scaring could be seen at my fingertips. 

My regeneration wasn't as strong as Denji's. My power was slowly leaving its mark on my body.

I rested my head on Aki's shoulder, I loved him so much. I loved this so much.

The walks through Tokyo, holding hands, the occasional kisses.

I loved it all, I loved my life, it was unreal at times.

...

I sat alone and wondered what I was doing with myself.

Sometimes I punished myself for being happy, telling myself I didn't deserve it.

Aki and I were friends, right?

Nothing more?

I would need hint to clarity, where did I stand.

Maybe it'll all unfold at the dance tomorrow.