1. One Midnight

It might be difficult to say if it's night or nearly morning. The dark clouds were already surrounding the immense sky, leaving no way to pass a single ray of moonshine to the earth, and the stars were long gone. Nevertheless, the flashing lights of the vehicles made him tightly close his eyes as he walked through the empty footpaths. He was on the way back to his home, tired eyes gawking at the blinking city lights and skyscrapers making him lazily pass a glance at them. Nothing in Itaewon grabs his astonishment. Nothing in this vast city can make him stunned. He has seen this place struggling to survive and proudly growing. If anything that can elicit a surprised wow from him, then it's just the innocent nights that always stay the same, in every season.

It was past midnight when he closed his shop and watered the rest of the flower bouquets and stepped out to the footpaths. Even though it's not his usual timing to leave work, tonight he felt light in the head and unknowingly pleased from inside. Yeah, maybe the fact that tomorrow is a Sunday and he can finally sleep till his heart is out has a fair share of contribution to his happiness. Humming to a jazz melody that has been in his head the whole day, the caramel-haired boy sauntered aimlessly. His one hand went to his jeans pocket to take out the phone which was buzzed all those times when he was busy with customers. He rubs his eyes with the other hand in which his fingers curl around the flowers delicately while unlocking the phone. The brightness of his phone was too much on that dull night and his home screen showed two widely grinning faces that brought a little smile to his lips too. Then he found the notifications.

7 missed calls and 5 messages.

He stops on the track, leaning to the railings of the pathway of the Han, and stares at the city in front of him while calling back to one of the contacts in his call list. The Han river in front of him was flowing in a truce, not caring about the chaotic world that was running behind materialistic things and here he was, feeling like in the middle of the tiny waves in the river created by the chilly breeze, fidgeting to seize the moment. The river doesn't care about anything. Even in the summer it flows, eliciting small tides, from one place to another, from dim sunsets to full moons.

Each ring of his phone made his heart go wild as he prepared himself to get ready for a scolding. To his disappointment and slight happiness, the call didn't connect. He really hoped the man on the other side would let him speak before throwing his worried screams at him because of how late he was on a night like this. Oh, on a night like this, the twenty-five-year-old tends to forget that he has a brother at home, waiting for him to join so that they can have dinner together and wish him a beautiful life ahead through this year, the next, and all the upcoming years. Yes, that's when the realization hit him hard, and Kim Taehyung dramatically placed a hand on his head, brushing his caramel hair slightly and sighing at his own doing. He should have track of time or else, how is he gonna convince his brother for being late on his own birthday?

Reading the messages and clearing the notifications one by one, Taehyung walked as fast as he could. If he left the shop a little earlier, he wouldn't be missing the last bus to his home. However, the cold winter night made him marvel at the life ahead. He turns one more year older, a bit wiser, and has a lot to learn. Taehyung has always been so fond of improving himself. Because of their struggling days to survive, the brothers hadn't got a lot of shots to live extravagantly. Taehyung and his brother Kim Baekhyun were living a satisfying life, delighted with what they had. Baekhyun being the elder, worked hard to give Taehyung the best choice in the world, and the understanding younger always stood right next to him, helping Baekhyun all the way he could. Life has been easy since they both started working- Baekhyun at a cafe, and Taehyung opening his shop.

The florist passed a glance at the flowers in his hands. Hopefully, this can melt Baekhyun's outrage into something cute. He wonders while strolling. As soon as the beige painted walls came into his sight, Taehyung let out a contented sigh. With steps slowing down and his heart beating fast, he stood in front of the door, searching for the key in his pocket. He peeked at the surroundings. Everything was in peace and dozed off on that cold night. Even he feels frozen wearing a jacket and gloves. Snow tickled the plants and flowers, the icy wind brushing him off, making his hair dance along to the unknown melody as he unlocked the door to enter the home.