16. Scenery

The smooth wind caressed them both as they sat on the lawn in the back of the mansion. Crayons, and papers scattered around, in the middle, they both sat scribbling on their respective papers. 

Taehyung stole a glance at Jooan who was too immersed in her work, her hair flying with the soft breeze, her head resting on her palm, tilted it to the side, an angry frown settling on her face as she concentrated on the paper. Taehyung smiled at the sight of Jooan. 

He then tore his gaze from her to his painting and the timer between them. They only left five more minutes to finish their paintings, Taehyung held the brush tight in his hand, mixing the paint and leaving careful strokes on the canvas. It has been a long time since he felt the liveliness of the colors, the freedom that reassured him with each brushstroke. 

He didn't know he was craving to paint like a child until Jooan reached out to him. It was a crazy feeling, giving the mere paint palette a life and that too a meaningful one, and he was beyond happy to find peace in that little activity. 

When the timer buzzed, Taehyung was brought back to reality, a soft smile adorning his lips when Jooan yelled:

"Time's up!" 

Taehyung let out a giggle when Jooan placed the brush down and took the canvas in her hands. He did the same and then they confronted each other, faces glowing with the happiness of their fun activity together. Taehyung had already bookmarked the moment as his one of the best days of life. 

"Okay, are we done with our drawing?" 

Jooan asked, tilting her head sideways, and placing a finger under her chin to which Taehyung nodded. She hummed softly. Each gesture made Taehyung drown deep in her innocence. 

"On count three, we can show our painting to each other, right?" 

"Okay, ma'am." 

Taehyung said, making Jooan giggle softly. She started counting and he felt nervous all of a sudden. What's the big deal? Jooan is a kid, she wouldn't even say anything to him, and she's too young to criticize an art piece. Still, Taehyung felt his hands shaking, something churning in his stomach weirdly. 

He felt like the student who was anticipating the exam result, especially when he was confident about failing. Would it be too much if he said he wanted to impress Jooan with his painting? Yep. That's it. 

The counting stopped and their eyes landed on each other's paintings. Jooan's chocolate orbs concentrated on each brush stroke carefully, trailing from one color to another that gave life to his drawing, an amused glint reflected on her eyes that made Taehyung's heart fall into bliss. 

"I see what you did with the colors, hmm... You gave the brush strokes a fine strong touch, using prime colors. It's bright but not too much to hurt your eyes, and overall, it looks..."

Jooan took her time to fetch words and Taehyung felt he was dying as each second passed by. 

"Beautiful"

That's only when the elder let out the breath he was holding that he didn't know for how long. Jooan smiled softly at him, making him forget everything at that moment with her innocence

"What do you call your painting?"

"Hmm... maybe... Eyes on the moon?"

"Huh? why?"

Taehyung was expecting the question where's the moon, but he was glad Jooan didn't ask that. Often people don't understand the meaning behind his abstract artworks. Of course, Baekhyun would praise him for even the slightest attempt, and Taehyung couldn't help but miss his brother even more as he looked at the canvas now adorned with colors.