4. The Truth Untold

"Tae... Is there any time Baekie mentioned them? Anything you can remember or we missed... Can you think of them?"

The smooth words of Chanyeol broke the silence dissipated in the room. It takes a moment for Taehyung to wipe the tear-stained face and look at Chanyeol's side with a wounded expression. His shaky breaths came to be normal while his hands still showed nervousness as he fidgeted with the handcuffs.

"I don't know hyung. I'm hearing their names just now. For the first time in my life. You know how many people Baekhie had connections with. And... They... No. I'm sure I never heard of them before..."

Taehyung assured again, voice still broken and softly whispering against the wind. He sucks a sharp breath before letting his mind wander around to recollect anything like Chanyeol asked. He and Baekhyun had the most prosperous bond ever. They shared almost everything, they understood each other just by a look, and they never had to hide anything. Taehyung remembers how they both used to be impatient to meet after a tiring day and share some gossip. Because of all the world, they both would always choose each other as their home. Taehyung felt like crumbling at the thought. He lost Baekhyun, he lost his home.

"We can't say that this guy has no connection with all these incidents. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm not getting a clean vibe from this Jeongguk."

Yoongi said, hands busily flipping the pages of the document in front of him. Well, the lawyer was right. It's hard to believe that there's no connection between Jeon Jeongguk and Kim Baekhyun especially when all those moments are just in front of them and also when the lawyer Namjoon said those things about Taehyung. Yoongi kept his stoic expression while thinking. He has to find a loophole that's gonna help Taehyung to get out of the place. He promised himself that he will save the younger. When no evident details flashed in his mind, Yoongi let out a deep sigh before meeting the gaze of Taehyung.

"Even if Jeongguk reached there on that night coincidentally, the headache here is that he knows you, Taehyung. His brother claims you both were lovers and... Engaged. I know it's not the truth. But things are quite not in our court now."

Yoongi doesn't want to put Taehyung in more despair than he already is. But neither could he lie to the man. There's no place for false hope. Taehyung has to know wholly where he's in and what's going on around him. Just when he looked up, Yoongi found Taehyung's red broken eyes staring at his soul, lips trembling to say something but no words came out.

"I won't give up on you. Trust me..."

Taehyung nodded, letting the lawyer know that he does trust the man. He has no other way to save himself now. The dimmed vision lands on the photos in Yoongi's file. He stiffened at the snaps showing the cars of Baekhyun and Jeongguk on the Han bridge, flashing lights filling in the black photo. The number plates were visible in them, but the two men in the driving seats were blurred. His gaze dropped to catch a glimpse of the second and third photos. He wanted to trace them, pause on every little thing the camera landed, and scrutinize them solely.

"The guy who dressed as you knocked down Baekhie first, then he hit the Jeongguk guy with his car. The cars then exploded and fell into the river. Since it might be all burned before falling into the water caused by the explosion, we couldn't find their bodies..."

Taehyung hears Yoongi pausing. He wanted to see his brother for the last time but he heard from the officer how they tried their best to find the bodies day and night, but couldn't because of the high water level of the Han river. They couldn't get any other things than the broken watch or a shoe from the crime scene that made no help. Taehyung felt his heart bleeding at the thought of his brother going through all those pain.