i: the dreaded day

⚠️⚠️⚠️ This chapter contains mentions of eating disorder habits. If you are sensitive to such topics, please be take precaution.

 If you are sensitive to such topics, please be take precaution

The Monday I had been dreading was unfortunately here. My first day of school. It didn't help my overthinking self when I found out school had already been going on for 2 weeks, and I was just now going. How fucking embarrassing. Definitely want to cry.

Finally, after 15 minutes of staring at the ceiling debating if I should just not go, I got up. My new room was pretty small, but nothing I wasn't used to. The first thing I do when I wake up...go to the mirror. I'd developed this routine a while back. A little after the bullying, checking everything they'd critique about me.

And after a while, I think I started agreeing. Then came the calorie counting. Then the extreme fasting. It made me ecstatic when I made it at least 20 hours without eating.

I was in an unhealthy phase in my life. I still am. Those thoughts are always there, I still turn down food at times, but I like to think I'm better than I was.

Anyhow, I'm standing in front of my mirror. I pull up my shirt and turn to the side. This is when I determine if I'm hungry. Again, not healthy, but it comes with the package.

I never told anyone about what I was doing. Still haven't. I'm not the extremely skinny or super short girl everyone adores. When I was accepting of that, no one liked it. So now I do things like looking in a mirror to determine whether or not I'll eat.

Once I pull away from my thoughts, I go to the bathroom. It's hair washing day, so I take an extra long time in todays shower. Once I'm done, I brush my teeth and throw my hair into a t-shirt.

Times like these, running through a hallway to get back to my bedroom with only a towel, make me wish I had my own bathroom. It's like a race to get back to my room with no one seeing.

Now in my room, it's time to pick an outfit. This is definitely nerve wracking, what I wear could make people hate me, and I've had enough of that to last a lifetime.

I decide on a beige baby tee with light washed straight leg jeans. Something simple that won't draw attention, yet is approachable. I take the t-shirt out of my hair and brush out my wet hair.

I put in some leave in conditioner, then use a Denman brush to do a little brush and twist thing. And the final step... flipping my hair over, grabbing gel, "prayer hands", and scrunching my hair.

That is my routine to getting my natural curls to come out. If I just leave my hair, the curls get quite frizzy, so this is what I do. I put on some black converse to finish the look.

I've never been one to wear heavy makeup. Trust me, I tried that route and I think it's best if I stay pretty natural. Just mascara and lipgloss will do. I go back to the mirror for a final look.

"Don't tell anyone your problems. Stay focused. Graduate. You can do this Dahlia." I whisper to myself before walking to the kitchen. The smell of bacon is immediately present, it's my brothers' favorite.