xx: soup

"Throw to second!" Elijah yells

I get ahold of the ball, and throw it towards second. Lucas catches it, striking out the opposing team.

Well, I can't really say opposing team since they're technically our players. But, it's just a thing we do. Divide our baseball team here at Southview into two teams so we can practice.

"Austin! Your team's on offense now!" Coach yells. I gather my team and head back to the dugout. Elijah is up to bat this round.

I stand, gripping the metal dugout wires to watch how Elijah does.

Baseball has been the only thing keeping my mind off this situation. With season starting up, we've been training extra hard, so my mind is all in the game...mostly.

Elijah hits the ball toward right field, managing to make it to first base.

"Isaiah, your up." I tell.

We play like this for another 20 minutes. My team is in the lead of course. The team with the Captain usually has the advantage.

When I'm out on the field either playing defense or batting, it seems to help. But when I'm sitting in the dugout, my mind is nowhere on baseball.

I hope she's okay.

I know she's not, but I need her to admit it to me. I'm making assumptions, but I can't help it. All the signs are there, she just needs to tell me, so I can help her. I will help her.

And god, she was burning up like crazy. As soon as I'm out of this practice, the minute that bell rings, I'm going to her. She can push me away all she wants, but the least I can do is make sure she's okay.

Coach runs up to me while i'm on deck to bat.

"Something wrong?" I ask.

"You got called down to the nurses office." He explains. The nurse? I don't think I've stepped foot in the nurses office.

"Uh alright. Elijah, you ok to lead?"

He nods, and I quickly put my things together before running inside to the locker room. I push my cleats into my locker, and switch them for a regular pair of shoes. I also put on some deodorant, because I've been running around, and sweating.

I'm still in my practice clothes, trying to get to the nurses as soon as possible. My gray baseball pants and white top are kind of weird school attire, but I don't care. I need to know why the hell I was called.

The nurses office is located near the counselors office, and when I walk there, Aaliyah and Fallon are standing outside.

"What's going on?" I question.

"Oh thank god you're here! Dahlia passed out while we were running the track and—"

"What?" I interrupt.