xv: can I give you something

The minute I step into my house, I want to sink into the floor

I'm trying hard to hold back the tears until tonight. There's still food to be made, people to watch, homework to be done.

There's work I have to do! No crying needed, none at all.

I check my phone just in case mom called me.

There's 10 missed texts from Blake and 3 missed calls.

I'm not even going to bother, I need to forget about this for awhile.

As if on time, I get an incoming call from my mom. I answer quickly.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Dahlia! I have such good news." She bubbles.

"What is it?" I laugh. She's never usually this happy.

"I've worked overtime so much that my boss is giving me the weekend off! You can go to Blake's party like you wanted sweetie."

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no, no.

"It's okay, I'll stay in with you! I rarely get to see you these days." I assure.

"Nonsense, you need to enjoy your youth. I'm forcing you out." She chuckles.

Oh my god. This cannot be happening.

"Great, that's great. See you later!" I hang up so fast.

Is now a good time to cry? Panic? Both? Yes.

Scrummaging through the pantry, I realize we have no food. No damn food. God, it's not like I wanted it, but the boys do.

Shit shit shit.

I dial Aaliyah's number. She's trustworthy, and I'll pay her back. I have a $10 in my bag for emergencies.

"Aaliyah, can you do me a huge favor."

"Of course, what do you need?"

━━━━━━━━━━

Some time has passed, and Aaliyah should be dropping off what I needed soon.

I asked her if she could drive to the store and grab some Sandwiches. It's basic, but it's all I can do right now.

A knock on the door signals she's here. I go and open it.

"Thank you so so much." I hug her. She's taken aback by this embrace. "I'm here for you always. Now, tell me what it is you needed to tell me."

I bring her to the kitchen table quickly. I need to tell her, and fast.

I explain to her what went down with Blake. Not including what all I told him about, just the fact that he hung up after I told him something personal.