xxv: baseball game

It's Friday

It's Friday. First game of the season. My head is still not completely in the game, distractions are everywhere.

I'm lying, there's only one thing that distracts me from baseball.

Dahlia.

Since I was little, baseball has been the thing I turn to when I'm stressed. Whenever I would play, that was all that mattered. My mom could be yelling at me to come inside, but I wouldn't hear. I'd be too focused.

That's all changed since I've come to know her. She is all that is on my mind. It's like I've memorized her completely. The faces she makes when she's upset, the way her nose scrunches when she's in deep thought, and most definitely the noises she makes when I kiss her. I'm so helplessly in love with her.

How I'm supposed to put that on hold for tonight? No clue. It probably won't happen if I'm being honest. I'll just be picturing her watching me and cheering me on.

She won't be there, but I can hope. I'll always be hoping she'll change her mind and let me love her, but that's just my bullshit thinking.

Logan, Elijah, and I are practicing our defense with each other. The baseball period before a game is always skill heavy. Everyone divides to practice the skills coach directs us to.

We try not to tire ourselves before a game, so this method makes sure we make use of our time. Logan passes me the ball, to which I throw back to Elijah.

"Nervous?" Logan asks both of us.

I shrug. "Not really. I mean lots of people come to the game, but no one really important to impress this time."

"Yeah, scouts aren't coming until the third game, so I'm not that scared. Plus, we're playing Cedar Falls, they suck ass." Elijah says.

Logan catches the ball, but pauses, rolling his eyes. "Blake wasn't talking about impressing scouts, he was talking about his girl."

I furrow my brows. "What the hell do you know?" He passes the ball back to me.

"You've been fucking depressing ever since you stopped talking to her, and especially since she and the girls have stopped sitting with us. Which by the way, can you two make up so I can have my girlfriend back?"

I throw the ball dangerously close to Logan's face, trying to shut him up.

"No seriously, I miss sitting with Fallon. When are you and Dahls going to finally admit you're in love with each other?" Elijah pouts.

Sighing, I bow my head to look at my feet. "Dahlia doesn't love me, and probably never will. I didn't stop talking to her because we're arguing, I stopped because I can't be around her without knowing I love her and she doesn't feel the same."

I squint my eyes looking into the sky. Logan and Elijah stare at each other in silence. In a matter of seconds, I'm tackled to the ground.

"You're a good guy, Blake." Elijah says.