CHAPTER 20

NABUHAYAN siya ng loob nang tumunog ang kanyang cellphone na nasa dashboard mount at isang mensahe ang natanggap ngunt agad din iyong namatay nang makita hindi sa taong inaasahan niya nagmula ang mensahe.

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration, driving with one hand. He was loaded with work, yet that didn't hinder him from thinking about Violet and their situation. After he proposed—well, it was sort of a proposal— he hadn't had the chance to talk to her because she kept on avoiding him and dodging his calls. And it's been days.

He accepted that he was partly at fault for Violet's indifference towards him. He thought that everything would go smoothly after he confessed his deep affection towards her, and she accepted it though she hadn't told him her feelings. Kahit na hindi nito sabihin ay alam niyang may nararamdaman ito sa kanya. And he knew too well that she would get mad at him for what he did. He should've told her first about his plan, but he didn't because his gut feeling was telling him that she would say no. He could be wrong or not, but the thought got the best of him, he got scared, so he went directly to Violet's parents. He thought about telling them that something happened to him and Violet, he knew that her parents would push the wedding through. But he couldn't do that to her, and he knew that Violet might not talk to him forever if he did.

He couldn't tell if she was freaked up with the marriage proposal from him, or she was mad at him for not confiding to her first. Or it could be both. Whatever it was, he won't give up until she forgive him and of course, accept his proposal. He wanted her for the rest of his life, and he would have her. He didn't make it this far just to lose her.

Hindi na niya mababawi ang proposal niya sa pamilya ni Tara kaya paninindigan niya iyon na siya naman talagang gagawin niya una pa lang. He would start by getting the approval of the man that Violet loved the most.

Nang makarating sa opisina ay agad niyang pinuntahan si Ashton Sanford sa opisina nito hindi upang kausapin ito tungkol sa trabaho. Earlier, he was at the construction site with some engineers to oversee their operation. Noong mga nakaraang araw pa niya gustong kausapin ang ama ng babaeng pinakamamahal niya ngunit pareho silang abala sa kani-kanilang trabaho dahil sa isang malaking proyeko. Ashton was a very hardworking man and he looked up to him. Pangawalang ama na rin ang turing niya rito kaya kinakabahan siya sa gagawin. He was a good person but he could be worst when it concerns his children, especially his only daughter whom he loved so much.

Agad siyang pinapasok ng sekretarya nito sa opisina. Nakaupo sa likod ng executive desk si Ashton at may binabasang mga papeles. "Sit down," he said in a professional manner.

Umupo siya sa naroong upuan katapat ng lamesa nito habang itinatago ang tensiyon.

"Is everything good at the site?"

"Yes, Sir. Everything is feasible..." he then took a deep sighed before continuing. "I didn't come here to talk about work, Sir."

Dumoble ang kaba niya nang ibaba ni Ashton ang hawak na papeles, ipinagsalikop ang dalawang kamay sa ibabaw ng lamesa at itinuon ang buong atensiyon sa kanya. "You're here because of my daughter. My only daughter, Harrison Green," ani Ashton na maririnig ang pagbabanta sa boses.

"I-I knew that very well, Sir." Sandali siyang tumigil at tumikhim upang alisin ang bara sa lalamunan dahil sa kaba. "But your only daughter, I love her, I keep on loving her, and I'm done keeping it to myself. I want to be with her, I want to marry her. You love Tita Tamara so much, and I know you understand me."

"Don't compare my love to my wife to your affection for my daughter! I didn't sneak inside their house or sneaked inside her room to fill my need as a man. I had respect for her parents," Ashton said sternly.