02. Not One, But Two

Camilla stared up at Dylan, now completely intrigued. The melody of the instruments, all playing in harmony began to play. Dylan, now known by the Italian princess as Oliver, pulled her close and led them.

As they followed the other couples on the dance floor, Camilla looked up at whom she knew as Oliver. "Well, it is nice to make your acquaintance, your grace."

Dylan smirked, happy to finally have Camilla's full interest. "Please, call me Oliver, your highness."

"Fine, Oliver." Camilla said in agreement. "But you must address me by my first name."

"As you wish — Camilla."

The two placed their right palms together as they moved forward, drawing an invisible circle on the floor. They then hooked their arms together, moving counterclockwise before they held each other once more, Camilla's arm on Dylan's shoulder, their free hands interlocked, and they glided down the floor as the tempo sped up. Dylan spun Camilla as did the other male dancers with their partners. They repeated the same steps, however this time they did it in pairs, all four palms at the center while the dancers walked in a circle to the tempo of the music. They then separated, switching couples much to Camilla's dismay.

"Your royal highness, I have been meaning to talk to you, but his majesty..."

Camilla rolled her eyes, letting the words of the man she was dancing with drift away as she tried searching for her original partner. She frowned when she found him dancing with Patricia, a lady of the Italian court, who seemed smitten by the young Duke. Dylan caught Camilla's eyes and faked yawned  while Patricia was looking away, causing Camilla to snort.

       "Hello, Princess."

       Camilla looked up at her newest dancing partner, surprised to see the familiar face in front of her. She had been too distracted with Dylan's antics, unaware that the partners had switched once more.

       Camilla looked at her old classmate and crush. "H-Hello, Miguel."

"You look ever so lovely tonight, your royal highness." Miguel smiled down at Camilla, causing the princess to blush. Although, Camilla had forced herself to get over her crush on Miguel over her last course of upper-secondary school, a small part of her still liked him, but knew that Miguel never showed interest.

"Thank you," Camilla smiled up at him shyly.

"I am sorry I have not gone up to y—"

"I believe it is time to return to our original partners," Dylan's voice said from behind Miguel. Miguel frowned at him, but Dylan returned a nonchalant smirk.

"I will see you later, your highness."

"Jealous, much." Camilla joked as she returned to Dylan's arms.

"Me?" Dylan asked innocently causing Camilla to laugh once more. "I was informed it is accustomed for a potential suitor to ask his maiden of interest out on a date."

       "That is correct," Camilla nodded.

       "Well, Miss Camilla would you do me the honor of going to the Rome picnic with me this Tuesday?"

"Yes," Camilla answered. "But you also have to seek my chaperone's permission."

       Dylan looked over at the King who had been watching them from afar. He swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded. He forced a confident smile and said, "anything for you, my princess."

"Let us go to my brother, then."

Camilla dragged a nervous Dylan away from the dance floor and toward Hayden. Everyone glanced over curiously, this was the first gentleman that had the guts to approach the princess and now the king.

"Your majesty," Dylan bowed down. "I am Oliver Somerset, Duke of Lorne. I have been smitten by her royal highness and would like for her to accompany me to the Rome Picnic this Tuesday morning—of course with your approval."

Hayden raised an eyebrow, impressed that Dylan had come up to him. He then looked over at his sister who also seemed intrigued by her suitor. "If my sister has accepted, there is no need for me to object. You have my approval."

       "You have my upmost gratitude, your majesty." Dylan said as he bowed once more.

       Camilla grinned, happy that she finally had a potential suitor and would not be shunned as the 'thorn' by others. Those who did not secure a suitor or suitors within the first three balls would be placed as outcast and ridiculed by the maidens that did succeed in securing a marriage.

"Your majesty, I would also like to seek your approval as well."

Song(s): Youngblood (Cover) - Vitamin String Quartet