21. Once a Criminal Always a Criminal

The room was dark, very dark. The only light illuminating the brick wall cell was the one shinning through the small window. A single bench was played to the far right and on the other corner of the cell was a stack of hay. Dylan could hear the chittering of the rats. Soo e it was replaced with the sound of keys and footsteps.

"Here's the criminal," one of the royal guards sighed as he opened the cell door. Dylan looked up at him confused as he heard the clicking of heels against the concrete floor.

       Dylan gasped as he saw who was in the other side of the bared doors.

        "I only came here because I care for Camilla," Rebecca said before her eyes looked around the cell and she shuddered. "That, and I have also been where you are now, be it I hadn't done anything wrong like stealing."

       The Queen Mother noticed Dylan's confused expression. His eyebrows were knitted together and his lips were puckered into a dumbfounded frown.

       "But that's a story for another day," she sighed. "I know that my son will have publicly apologize in front of an audience for your crimes and then send you to prison. I cannot have him do that as it will humiliate his sister and leave her off the market for good. Instead, I would like to make you an offer."

        Dylan perked up. "What is it?"

       "Get the sapphire back because I know that you were the cause of its disappearance," Rebecca said with a knowing frown. "Once it is back with us, you are free to go and you are to stay the hell away from my family. Understood?"

       "But you have already announced that Camilla is engaged. Will she not be humiliated if I go?" Dylan argued. He knew he had no right to stay by Camilla's side, but he had made her a promise and he did not intend on breaking it a second time.

       Rebecca's eyes were cold. "I'm already taking care of that mess."

       "But-"

       "All I need you to do is bring the sapphire back," Rebecca hissed as she leaned forward making sure that Dylan coward under her control. Dylan's jaw clenched as he met the Queen Mother's gaze, he did not coward away but he did mot obediently.

       "Alright, your majesty," Dylan sighed.

       Rebecca snapped her fingers and the guard opened up the gate. Dylan and Rebecca continued their stare off as Dylan exited the cold dungeon cell. He followed the Queen through the dark, empty halls.

       "If you take this exit, it will lead you to the sewers near the fountain at the center of the town. I have arranged for one of my trusted guards to meet you there. You have three days to bring that jewel back, or else I will take a different approach to make sure you get your punishment," Rebecca threatened.

       When someone backstabbed the Queen Mother they would pay dearly. Dylan had not only broken her trust, but lied to her and her family.

       "You will have your dumb jewel back," Dylan said as he entered the door behind the large painting. "Just let Camilla know that I truly loved her and that I am sorry for everything I put her through."

       "Leave," Rebecca said before she closed the painting. Dylan followed the lighted pathway until he reached the sewers.

       He could not help but scoff. He had everything he ever wanted and in a blink of an eye it was all gone. He just wished that he could've done more to make sure Camilla knew that he loved her very much.

       Dylan peeked his head our after he removed the sewer hatch. The streets were dark and quiet now. The young fraud had not realized he had spent an entire day inside the cell. He wondered what Camilla was doing.

       "Hello? Anybody there?" Dylan called out confused to see that there was no guard around like Rebecca had said.

       "Hello? Anybody there?" His statement echoed back in a familiar voice.

       Dylan froze when he saw Hector appear from the shadows. The man wore a wicked grin as he casted his eyes on Dylan. He chuckled maniacally and opened up his arms.

       "Aren't you going to hug your dear father?" Hector asked as he motioned Dylan to move closer.

       "You're not my father," Dylan shook his head as he took a few steps back, but was startled when he bumped into someone.

       It was the royal guard that Rebecca had told him about. Dylan could tell by the royal pin he wore on his tie. Next to him was one of Hector's henchman.

       "You know, it was pretty easy to bribe the Queen Mother," Hector said as he pulled out the royal sapphire from his pocket. He chuckled softly as he let the jewel shine beneath the moonlight. "The stupid hag will never know that the jewel I sent her was a replica."

       Dylan's eyes widened in realization. He had been set-up. The Queen Mother never had an intention to help Dylan flee, she just wanted the royal sapphire back, no matter the cost.

        "I am glad you had your little fairytale moment, but it is now time to come down from cloud nine," Hector's voice was now serious. "We have a lot of work to do my son and I cannot have my precious bella fraude (beautiful fraud) prancing around with the princess."

"I gave you what you wanted Hector! You promised you would let me be!" Dylan shouted in anger as the two men held him back.

Hector raised an eyebrow in amusement. "But I thought you loved living this lush life?"

Dylan looked away. "Not if it means I have to be the bad guy."

"That little princess really did a number on you, huh?" Hector smirked, before he grabbed Dylan's chin to face him. "I hate to break it to you boy, but there's no happy endings for us bad guys. Once a criminal, always a criminal."

Author's Note Hello my beautiful lovelies! Here is Chapter 21 and the drama in the royal household continues to bubble up

Author's Note
Hello my beautiful lovelies! Here is Chapter 21 and the drama in the royal household continues to bubble up. Rebecca is such a backstabber 🙄. When we all thought she had changed just a bit, she goes back to her old ways. Do you think she will be able to redeem herself? Let me know your thoughts in the comments. Also, we have not seen the Queen of Queens—Guilia Valentino herself, but fret not she's mot dead yet. She is alive and she will be appearing in the next chapters so prepare yourselves. I will see you all next Saturday with another update! Thank you so much for reading my lovelies.
Xoxo, Liz 💋💋💋