14. The Way He Lied

The couple stared at one another. Neither of them broke eye contact. Dylan gulped down the lump of fear in his throat. This would be it. He would lose Camilla and go to prison. Camilla raised an eyebrow as she heaved a sigh, waiting for Dylan to finally say something.

"Before I tell you the truth I need you to promise me something," Dylan said hesitantly.

Camilla glanced away. She bit down on her cheek, contemplating whether to make that promise or not. She finally looked up and nodded.

"Go on," she ordered.

"I am not who you think I am," Dylan mumbled. Camilla's confusion only grew.

"Will you stop beating around the bush and just tell me who you really are and why you are here?!" Camilla demanded with a look of frustrations

"My real name is Dylan Taylor," he sighed. "I am a con-artist—the most wanted in England. I was sent here by Henry. He is a mob leader and wanted to get his hands on the royal sapphire."

"So, you're not really a Duke?" Camilla brought her hand to her trembling lips as she processed the information. "You're just a fraud."

Dylan looked down at his palms with a guilty look in his blue eyes. He never felt this ashamed. Not once in his life. Even after ripping off millions of dollars from people, but as he looked up to meet Camilla's watery gaze he felt the world around him crumble.

"Camilla," Dylan cried out as he tried to embrace the blonde princess but she flinched away from his touch. Dylan's heart pounded hard against his chest. He wanted to make it all better. "I admit, I came here with the wrong intentions. However, after I got to know you and spend time with you, I fell for you Camilla. My feelings toward you are the only tru-"

"No," Camilla's voice was full of hatred. She had fallen head-over-heels with a complete stranger. "You stay away from my family and me. I do not want to see you anywhere the palace, or else I will not hesitate to tell my brother to arrest you."

"Camilla, please!" Dylan called out as Camilla turned on her heel. He grabbed a hold of her wrist and pulled her toward him. "I love you Camilla. Please, you can't leave me. You're the only good thing I have."

A warm glint filled Camilla's blood-shot red eyes, but it was gone in a quick second and replaced by a cold, remorseful look.

"You should have thought about that before deceiving me Mr Taylor," Camilla pulled her hand away from Dylan's touch and rushed back toward the festival.

       Dylan watched as Camilla's retreating figure became smaller and smaller as she walked further away until finally he could not see her anymore.

He sunk to the ground clutching his clenched fists to his temples. For the first time in a long time he felt the cold, salty tears rolling down his cheeks. He had lost her.

The phone which he had thrown began to buzz against the concrete floor. Dylan rushed over to it, hoping to find Camilla's name. Instead the caller ID on the cracked screen caused Dylan's blood to drain.

"I told you I will get you your di-"

"Forget the diamond," Hector said. "I have Italy's prized jewel now."

"What have you down?" Dylan could feel his hands tremble as he feared the worse. He prayed that his suspicion was not true.

Hector laughed manically. "You shouldn't have told her," he said in a low menacing tone.

Dylan looked out in the direction Camilla had left and panic overcame him. He ended the call and rushed in search of Camilla.

Camilla looked around the trees trying to find her way out of the small woods. She could hear the loud music of the festival so she assumed she was closed.

"Are you lost ma'am?"

Camilla turned to the voice with a defensive position. She held her clenched fists ready to throw a punch. The stranger gave her an amused expression.

"Do not fret ma'am, I mean no harm," the man laughed teasingly as he put his hands up in surrender.

"I am sorry, you just startled me," Camilla flattened out her dress and gave the stranger an apologetic smile.

"Well I apologize Ms—" the stranger trailed off trying to figure out Camilla's name.

"I am Camilla, Princess of Italy," she said.

The stranger's eyes perked up at the name and Camilla had a weird feeling, especially with the shift of his demeanor.

        "It is quite a pleasure to finally meet face-to-face with this season's prized jewel—la bella principessa d'italia," the man stared at Camilla with a wide smirk. The evil glint in his green eyes caused a shiver to run down Camilla's back.

       "T-Thank you," Camilla chuckled nervously. "I fear I must cut this lovely conversation short as my family must be looking for me."

       Camilla walked around the stranger, but stopped when she felt a hard, cold metal object pressed against her back. The stranger covered Camilla's mouth with a white cloth as he leaned his lips to her ear.

       "I am sorry princess, but the boss needs to talk to you first," he whispered.

       Camilla wanted to fight back and break free from the man's clutches, but she felt her eyes grow heavy and her body weakening. Her vision became blurry as she finally gave in to the sleepiness consuming her.

Author's Note Hola my lovelies! I was going to hold off on this chapter since I just finished writing it and publish it until next week, but I thought I should treat you guys

Author's Note
Hola my lovelies! I was going to hold off on this chapter since I just finished writing it and publish it until next week, but I thought I should treat you guys. So... what do you guys think will happen to Camilla? Will Dylan tell the whole truth to the royal family and seek their help or will he try to save her by himself? Let me know your thoughts in the comments. I will hopefully see you all next week with another chapter. Adieus!
Xoxo, Liz 💋💋💋
Song(s): lovely - Billie Eilish & Khalid