11. Prince Nicolas of Spain (Part I)

Camilla watched herself in the mirror while others ran around, aiming to make the princess the prettiest maiden of the ball. Her hair was being straightened like usual and pulled back into a neat chignon. Two servants were crouched in front of her making sure the hem of the gown was perfectly aligned.

       "You are going to look so beautiful, your highness." One of the servants said while everyone nodded in agreement.

       Camilla smiled at her gratefully. Her lips did not remain in the forced position for long.

       "The Duke will not be able to keep his eyes off of you," another servant butted in.

       The Duke. Camilla did not mean to be nosy, but she had overheard some of his conversation the day prior.

"You'll get your ring."

Camilla was confused at what drove Dylan to be so angry and what ring he was referring to. She was not able to hear what the person calling him was saying.

"You are ready, your highness."

       Camilla stepped down from the flat cylinder stool. Her puffy gown flowing around her. She looked at the mirror one last time. No strand out of place... the perfect princess.

The blonde let out a heavy sigh and followed her lady-in-waiting out of the room. She was led to the ballroom entrance only used by the royal family. Flora and Hayden stood near the double-doors. Flora was adjusting Hayden's bow-tie despite his reluctance. The Queen of Italy wore a navy blue gown and a heavy crown on her head. The Queen Mother stood next to them, letting Hayden know of the important guests he had to speak to.

Camilla smiled at her family. She walked over to them and they all greeted her with warm smiles.

"Duke Somerset visited me this morning," Hayden said casually as he linked his arm around Flora's. "He courteously informed me of the serious direction your relationship is headed in and proclaimed himself an official suitor."

Camilla nodded. "He will be my escort this evening."

"Well, your escort is running late," Rebecca feigned a disapproving tone but the slight lift at the corner of her lips proved she was only joking.

       As if on cue, Dylan emerged. He wore a full black suit and black tie. His hair was ruffled back, left with a cute messy touch.

"Your majesties," he gave all three senior royals a formal bow. "You looking ravishing, your highness."

Camilla's cheeks flushed at Dylan's enamored gaze. Hayden was happy that Camilla had found true love despite it being a political move initially.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Camilla asked. "Once we step through that door, your bachelor status will be gone and you will not be able to court with the other-

"All I need is you," Dylan assured while he caressed Camilla's cheek.

"It is time for the entrance," Indiana who had decided to stay longer as Flora's right-hand and temporary lady-in-waiting announced.

Hayden and Flora emerged into the ballroom first, followed by Rebecca and finally the new royal couple.

"Announcing the arrival of her royal highness Princess Camilla and her official suitor, his grace Duke Somerset."

       Everyone in the ballroom looked up at the pair. Dylan took a hold of Camilla's hand and linked his arm around hers. The two walked down the staircase and toward the dance floor where most of the couples were. Murmuring erupted along with the melody to the first song of the night.

The bachelors who had been seeking a chance to get with the princess frowned. Dylan had stole the prized jewel of Cupido Primaverile.

       There were also a few scorched faces from the single ladies seeking to woo the Duke. He was no prince, but the status of Duchess was much more intriguing to them than remaining just ladies of the court.

"It is official," Dylan commented as he looked around the room. The gossip had already begun.

"Now, all that is left is for our engagement to be announced," Camilla teased.

Dylan looked away nervously. He had not thought this through completely. Now that he had declared himself as Camilla's suitor and put himself off the market, everyone would assume that it would not be long before the Duke proposed. After all, that was the custom.

"We should leave them in suspense for a bit," Dylan replied. Camilla's smile dropped upon hearing this and Dylan quickly took her hand, giving it a light peck. "Fear not, principessa. I will propose."

       The song came to an end and Camilla's smirk returned. Before Dylan and Camilla could join Flora and Hayden at their table, a familiar figure stepped in front of them.

       "Why Duke I am hurt that you chose my cousin over me," Mila said with an overly dramatized grip on her heart. She gently stalked toward Dylan and the Duke slowly stepped back. "I hope we can still be friends."

"Cousin, please. He is taken." Camilla's tone was passive-aggressive.

Mila wanted to hold a bitter expression, but she was proud that Camilla was finally defending herself. Mila walked away not wanting to press her cousin's anger.

       "And then you say I am the jealous one," Dylan poked fun at his partner and Camilla gently nudged him.

       The two walked over to the King and Queen. Camilla felt Dylan tense up suddenly and she turned to him. She noticed his gaze was fixated on the ring strapped around Flora's finger—the royal sapphire.

       "Oliver," Camilla whispered and Dylan turned to her with a guilty glint in his eyes.

Camilla searched his eyes, hoping to find an answer or read his mind. Dylan evaded her questioning gaze. He cleared his throat but his nervous state did not go unnoticed by Camilla.

"Dylan and Camilla, let us take a photograph together." Hayden called out and the couple walked over to them.

Camilla wanted to know what his call from the day before was about. She quietly tried to piece together the little information she had.

Her eyes widened as she realized that it was the royal sapphire Dylan had been referring to. She looked up at the brunette boy who was talking with her family.

"Announcing the arrival of Prince Nicolas, seventh in line for the Spanish throne."

Camilla snapped her head toward the direction of the entrance the other guests had to take. Standing near the double-doors was a tall, raven-haired male. He caught Camilla looking at him and he smirked evilly.

"Fuck," Camilla muttered.