09. A Date With A Lord

The couple walked out of the large estate near toward the car where Indiana awaited for them. Her hair was held back neatly by an embroidered clip and a pale blue dress hugged her body.

       "Hey," Camilla said, surprised to find Indiana instead of Flora standing near the vehicle.

       "Hayden and Flora had to fly over to Venice," Indiana informed. "So, I will be your escort this fine morning."

"It is nice to make your acquaintance, Lady Evans," Miguel greeted politely as he shook Indiana's hand.

The three boarded the vehicle. Camilla looked back the mansion yearning to be with Oliver. She could feel her cheeks burn up at the mere memory of their first kiss.

       Miguel noticed Camilla's giddy smile as she looked out the window. He knew that the cause of the smile was the Duke, but deep down he wanted for it to be him.

       "You're very smiley today," Indiana commented, happy to see Camilla so joyful. "You two make such a fine pair and after the event from last night I think any another competitor will surely back off."

       Camilla scrunched her nose at the memory. She had acted so foolishly. How she wished she had never kissed Miguel. Now everyone believed that it would not be long before the two wed.

       "We are here," the driver announced as he pulled up at the all-too familiar museum. Camilla had visited over one-hundred times.

       The three stepped out of the vehicle and were escorted inside. Many of the Italian citizens had been informed about Camilla's whereabouts and were now waiting to greet her outside the museum. Camilla smiled and waved at the citizens as did Miguel.

       "You two have fun and I'll be back here minding my business," Indiana chirped as they entered the museum.

"I am very pleased and honored you agreed to go on this sudden date," Miguel said with a wide toothy smile.

Camilla smiled back, biting the inside of her cheek from the nerves. She knew she had to tell the Lord the truth. Camilla opened her mouth to say something, but Lord Guido beat her to it.

"This masterpiece reminds me of you," Camilla looked up at the painting Miguel was referring to. It was a large painting of a perfectly painted flower. "Beautiful and perfect, like you principesca."

Camilla held back the urge to frown. She hated that term—perfect. She was anything but perfect. It annoyed it that people associated that term with her just because she was a princess. The simply word came with many restraints.

Miguel boldly cupped Camilla's cheek, snaking his hand around her waist. Camilla looked up stunned by the sudden contact and pushed Miguel back gently to place some space between them.

"Camilla, you made me the happiest man alive last night with that simple kiss." Miguel stated. "It confirmed to me and if I am being everyone else at that ball that this—us, it is going good. I feel beyond lucky to have such a woman by my side, to be my future wife and raise my childre-"

"THEKISSWASANACCIDENT," Camilla blurted out. Miguel looked down at her confused by her statement. "The kiss from last night was an accident. I should have not initiated that kiss, it was an action taken out of spite."

"Out of spite?" Miguel repeated and Camilla nodded, a guilty expression washing over her.

Camilla looked down at her palms. "I wanted to make the Duke jealous-"

"The Duke, of course," Miguel scoffed. "I am really hurt, you royal highness, but I thank you for the clarity. Accept my dearest regret, but I can no longer be a potential suitor. I wish you and the Duke happiness."

"I am sorry," Camilla whispered.

"It is quite alright," Miguel assured. "If you'll excuse me, I must get some fresh air. Goodbye, your royal highness."

Camilla watched as Miguel walked away. She felt the guilt build in her heart, but she knew she had to tell Miguel before his feelings toward Camilla grew.