03. Struck by Cupid

Camilla looked out the window at the enormous garden. It was the city's jewel, with beautiful extravagant flowers, some not native to the region which were very hard to keep alive but the gardeners in charge did their best. Many picnic tables were set up for the couples attending the picnic and their chaperones. 

"You have secured two potential suitors," Rebecca grinned widely. "If more follow — which by the many bouquets you received this morning — I assume will, then you can secure a marriage. One of them a Duke, the other a viscount, ahh."

       Camilla gave her mother an amused expression, but could not deny that she too was happy. The car came to a slow stop and the two women awaited for the door to be opened for them. Once it did, they were helped out.

       "Your royal highness, I am ecstatic for today."

       Camilla smiled up at the man in front of her. "Good morning, Viscount Guido."

Miguel stood proudly, wearing a full light gray suit and tie. His brown locks were held back, not one strand out of place and his strong Versace scent infiltrated the air around him.

"Off you two go, then." Rebecca said as she gently pushed her daughter toward Miguel. "I will be by the Grand Oak tree if you need me."

       Camilla and Miguel nodded as Rebecca walked away. Miguel offered his arm for Camilla and she took it, her cheeks heating up by the contact. She had spent so many years imagining herself this close to Miguel and it was finally happening.

"You look lovely," Miguel complimented, earning yet another shy smile from Camilla.

"You do not look too bad yourself," she replied as the two walked down the paved road near the park's pond. "I do not mean to ruin this date, but whatever happened to Cynthia?"

       Cynthia Delacorte, she was Miguel's girlfriend since lower-secondary school. The two were the happiest, most envied couple at the school and Cynthia was the reason Camilla never came forth with her feelings for Miguel. The two were thought by many to be future spouses, but with Miguel asking Camilla out on a date, it was evident something had happened between the two sweethearts.

       "We parted ways," Miguel answered, a glint of pain flashing through his hazel brown eyes. "She had other plans and I had mine and we deemed it best that we each follow our separate paths."

       "And what are you plans?" Camilla questioned, interested about what Miguel had planned for his future.

       "This may sound corny, but I want a family. A loving wife, children and a place where we can settle down." Miguel looked out at the pond, picturing his future-family. Camilla looked at him in awe. "What about you, your highness?"

Camilla bit her lip unsure of her answer. "I guess I want the same. A loving husband, children of my own and a place we can call our home."

"Well, it is nice that we have at least one thing in common."

       Camilla nodded with a strained smile. The truth was the complete opposite of what Camilla had answered. Yes, she wanted a loving husband and children, eventually. What she yearned for the most was to travel the world, get a University degree and do what every other teenager her age was doing. However, she had to be realistic. As the Princess of Italy, she had a duty to complete which did not involve any of the things mentioned.

       "Shall we join her majesty for some tea?" Miguel suggested as he glanced over at the picnic table in which Rebecca was seated.

       "We shall,"