24. One Night Only

"I was expecting for us to have more bonding time," Dylan's mother said as she stared at her son.

"Beatrix, he loves this girl. It is the least we can do for him after all he's been through," King Andries, Dylan's father replied. "We will be here to support you son."

Son. The word seemed foreign to the twenty-three year old who sat in front of them. He could not believe that all this time his parents were the King and Queen of the Netherlands. And that he was a freaking prince. Dylan hoped this new status would help him get Camilla back.

       "You're awfully quiet for someone who was reunited with his long lost family," Lotte, Dylan's elder sister said.

       She sat on the other side of the plane's aisle.

"I'm sorry, this has all just been so much to process." Dylan replied with a nervous smile.

His sister had a teasing smile on her face. "I'm just kidding," she assured.

"I can't believe that you are really home. Mama and papa talked a lot about you all the time," Nora said as she grinned at her older brother.

Fleur and Aliza were the much quieter ones, but they still seemed pleased to have their brother home.

"We have arrived, your majesties." The flight attendant announced.

The door to the plane was opened and the chattering of the crowd outside could be heard. Dylan looked out his window and noticed the reporters outside already snapping pictures.

His stomach churned with nerves. Although, his name was cleared, half of Italy still hated him for deceiving the royal family. Perhaps they always would.

"They cannot harm you," King Andries assured his son. "You have our protection now."

Dylan gave him a grateful smile.

The Dutch royal family walked out of the plane. King Andries and Queen Beatrix walked out first. Follow by the crowned princess, Lottie and Dylan. The three triplets walked out last. Dylan was not used to the attention or the security guards surrounding him.

So this is what I have missed, the brunette boy thought to himself.

He remembered his childhood vaguely. The only prominent memory engraved was of that fateful night where he was separated from his parents. He was only five at the time.

"Prince Dylan! Why did you lie about your true identity?"

"Is it true that you are a wanted con-artist?"

"Are you here to get back with Princess Camilla?"

"How do you feel about the royal wedding?"

"Tell us, what are your plans."

Dylan dodged the microphones being shoved at his face as the security guards pushed the crowd back. King Andries took his son's hand and allowed him to enter the car first.

His name may have been cleared in England and the rest of the world, but in Italy things were yet to be peaceful.

***

At the palace, Camilla watched as the royal car was bombarded with reporters. The car barely managed to drive through the crowded streets.

"Who would have though he was a prince?" Flora, who sat beside the anxious princess mused.