❁ 29 ❁

Suddenly, my field of vision became clear. I quickly turned around to find Angel standing at the doorway. His expression was one of worry.

"Angel." My anger streamed away like a flowing river. I let go of Hyacinth's hair, making her fall to the ground.

I calmly walked to him and he gazed up at me. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry I'm late I was- Your face! What did she do to you?!" His voice stirred.

I shook my head and smiled at him. "It's okay. I'm okay."

His eyes lingered on mine and then he turned his attention to Hyacinth. As Angel walked to her, his eyes immediately landed on her phone. He snatched it away.

Hyacinth smiled as she looked up at him. "You're here! Thank God!"

Angel frowned and he ripped his wig off. Not only was I shocked, but so was Hyacinth. Her eyes turned dim and her face morphed into terror.

"Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer," he snarled, "oh wait, you can't." Angel held out the phone in front of him and dropped it to the ground.

Magnolia suddenly materialized beside him and smashed the phone with her foot. Hyacinth watched in utter dismay. She then crawled towards Angel as she reached out her hand to him.

"A-Angel, we're meant to be-"

Suddenly, Magnolia gripped her wrist. Magnolia's face was horrifying—it was like looking at death itself.

"Magnolia, take care of her," Angel said as he turned his back to them, walking straight to me. He grabbed his wig, took my hand and we both left the classroom, with only the screams of Hyacinth to bid us farewell.

°°°

Our plan was a success. While I was distracting Hyacinth in the classroom, Angel broke into her dorm room and raided all of her electronics, ultimately ridding them of anything that had to do with him.

He told me I had been right as he placed an ice pack onto my cheek in the nurse's office. Hyacinth had transferred the picture to her computer, phone, and even a game console. How utterly outrageous.

I was glad that everything had worked out fine, however, there was still a whirlwind of emotions flowing through me. We remained quiet for a while. I didn't know what to say to him. It was like he had seen the worst possible version of who I was in a matter of seconds. What if his perspective of me had changed? What if he thought I was a lunatic? No one would want to be friends with a monster.

Angel shifted in his chair and gave a soft chuckle. "And here I thought I would be your knight in shining armor. You were pretty terrifying."

I couldn't help but frown and looked away.

"I'm sorry, did I say something wrong?" He asked, his voice kind.

"No no, I just... didn't want you to see me that way. If people knew about that side of me, they wouldn't want to be around me. I'm sure you must think I'm a freak now, right? No one..." My voice trailed off as I couldn't continue the sentence. I didn't want to look at his face. I was embarrassed and ashamed that I had let myself get that way. What would mamá think?

He took my hand in his and I quickly looked at him, shocked by this gesture. He smiled. "Don't assume things on your own, Camellia. I saw someone who just got carried away by their emotions. That doesn't make you a freak. It makes you human. I actually thought you looked cool."

I exhaled a sigh of relief. "I guess..." I began, "I guess it's my turn to tell you a story."

After I had told Angel what I did in middle school, I immediately finished with, "Doesn't that just make me as bad as them? I shouldn't have become violent but I just couldn't help myself. What's wrong with me?"