❁ 30 ❁

Finals week was brutal.

Math equations and historical terms swirled around in my brain. Alexander the Great was apparently buried alive. Tulip told me the other day as we studied European history. Nonsensical things like that were constantly on the brink of bursting out of my head.

Somehow, we all managed to survive the week, one way or another. As we walked out of the classroom having finished our final exam, I kept wondering to myself whether if we would go on the fun trip. Was it wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I just wanted to do something fun with my friends.

I couldn't believe the school year was coming to an end. It felt like it was just yesterday that I walked through the wondrous gates of the Lunacrest Girls Academy. So many things have happened since then—so many wonderful memories.

It wasn't over yet, as the school gave all their students one week of break, and then summer school began. The graduation ceremony would be held sometime during that week and I quickly realized that Zinnia and Chrys would soon be passing the torch to us. It was all very bittersweet.

For now, however, I was just eagerly awaiting the outcome of the final exams. Studying my brains out must have counted for something!

"I think we got this in the bag!" Tulip chirped. "After all, we do have the smartest student in our class!" She looked to Angel who just arrived at our table for dinner.

"You flatter me, Tulip." He smiled.

"I don't think my class won," Poppy somberly sighed, "it's filled with girls who only care about how they look, not studying."

I felt bad because we weren't in the same class, so if we did get to go on the trip, she would be left behind. And I was pretty sure it was too late to switch to our class.

I patted Poppy on the back. "Don't worry. Hopefully next year, we'll all be in the same class!"

That brightened her mood just a bit. She smiled softly. I looked up to take in the scenery. The five of us sat at a round table, everyone conversed with one another, smiles were exchanged, and laughter occasionally broke through the noise of the rest of the cafeteria. Nothing in the world could have made me happier than this. A little part of me never wanted this moment to end.

°°°

Our test scores were posted up on the bulletin board on the first floor of the main building. Petrified, I stayed behind while Iris and Tulip wriggled their way through the crowd of girls. This was it.

I crossed my fingers and whispered, "Please, please, please."

Then, I heard two girls squeal with excitement as they yelled, "Our class did it! We're going on the trip!"

My heart dropped. They were in a different class than ours. As they started to walk away, Tulip popped out, seemingly out of breath. Iris appeared shortly after her. Their faces were crestfallen and I knew that our class had not won.

They told me that our class came in second just by a few points. What were the odds of that? We all walked to class without saying a single word. I pulled Angel aside and broke the news to him—he was dumbfounded.

"What?! That doesn't make any sense. After all, I am the smartest student at Lunacrest." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Yeah, well apparently there's someone smarter than you."

Shaking his head, Angel replied, "That's bull. I don't know anyone else who could have gotten a higher score than me. If there was, then they would be student council president."