Worry

"We're going to Adgard." Loki announced during breakfast two weeks later when Anselma could actually walk without (no matter how much she tried to hide it) wincing in pain. The entire team looked up at him in interest. "Amora and Skurge are to face judgement on Asgard for the assualt of the Asgardian's princess." Anselma frowned down at her plate where she had just pushed around her pancakes instead of eating them. "So you'll be leaving then?" She asked quietly. Thor put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "We wish for all of you to accompany us so that we may show our family our home." She smiled lightly at her uncle before looking at Tony who was studying her face, his own scrunched up in thought. "I think that's a good idea." He said shortly before standing and leaving. Anselma stared after him in worry before following him.

She found him in his father's study, a place he usually avoided like the plague. He was sitting with his back against the wall facing the door, head bowed and hands gripping fistfuls of his hair. Anselma carefully moved to sit next to him. "Papa?" She whispered into the crushing silence. Tony said nothing. He didn't even look up. Anselma gently tugged his hands from his hair and held them firmly in hers. "What's wrong?" Tony clenched his jaw and looked away from her. She sighed quietly. It was quiet for a long moment before Tony abruptly turned to face Anselma and spoke softly.

"Loki is your biological father," he began and Anselma immediately realized the problem. "And I'm not. And I know I'm not the best father. After all I didn't have the greatest role model. And I know things aren't always perfect around here. I can't help but feel by going to Asgard that you'll..." She brushed her fingers through his hair, smoothing the tufts he had created earlier. "You're worried that I'd rather stay in Asgard because it will feel more like home." Tony's silence was answer enough for her. She frowned and searched her brain for what to say to him. A memory crept into her head.

"Papa, do you remember when I was five and it was raining?" She asked him. Tony looked up at her, wondering why she was talking about the weather. He nodded and thought back to that day.

Anselma was bounching excitedly on the balls of her feet as she watched the rain pour down. She turned big innocent eyes to Tony. "Come dance with me Papa." She said while tugging on his hand. "Dance with me in the rain." Tony smiled and let her pull him along. Once outside he pulled Anselma onto his feet and danced. Anselma's laughter rang through the air, his following soon after. They spun and leapt and twirled and dipped. They danced until the rain stopped. They danced until long after the rainbow disappeared. They danced until their feet hurt and they staggered back into the house, breathless with laughter.

Anselma was smiling softly at him. "Remember how we were sick for the next two weeks and spent every morning watching cartoons. And spelt out little messages to each other with our soup. And how every night I fell asleep listening to your heartbeat." Tony gave a small smile and nodded. Anselma laid her head on his shoulder and let him hold her. "You Papa," she whispered fiercely. "You are my home."

Loki, standing just beyond the door, swallowed thickly with emotion. He knew he would do everything in his power to keep them together. Because it was what his daughter wanted. And (if he was being honest with himself) because he was falling in love with the man his daughter was currently clinging to.

Quietly he crept into the room. Anselma smiled at him and lifted her arm for him to join the hug. Loki relaxed and accepted her offer. Smoothly he folded himself next to Anselma and embraced his small family. He kissed Tony softly on the lips before brushing a kiss along Anselma's forehead. They all sighed with content and just sat holding each other. And Anselma closed her eyes with a bright smile. Sitting there in the arms of her fathers, wrapped protectively in thier arms, and just being surrounded by them Anselma relaxed completely. And for the first time in her life, she felt truly at home.