The Final War Has Just Begun

A Darklina story written mostly in Alina's POV. Also, a disclaimer: I made up my own timeline for this book, but it begins before Ruin & Rising. This progresses as if the Darkling was already King by the end of Seige & Storm.

Even though this book is completed, do not be afraid to leave comments/reactions or just say hi. I love reading all the comments from my readers. Enjoy!<3
____________

ᗰY ᕼEᗩᗪ Is TᕼᖇOᗷᗷIᑎG with pain

Y Eᗩᗪ Is TᕼᖇOᗷᗷIG with pain. The only thing I can hear is high-pitched bells blocking out everything else. I try to recollect myself from my confused state by shaking my head. Dust falls from my unkempt hair. Where am I? The world twists and turns until it stabilizes under my weak body. I am sprawled out on the ground, pain shooting through my abdomen, and blurred vision making me dizzy. Suddenly, I snap out of the paralyzing shock. Noise floods through my ears. Screams. I hear horrible, desperate, blood-curdling screams that haunt my darkest nightmares. My memories all rush back simultaneously.

        The war. The final fight against the Darkling. I'm on the battlefield. The dishes David built didn't work, so now I am our last hope.

        A wave of nausea washes over me when I realize that the screams around me are the people fighting on my side. My friends are being torn to shreds by nichevo'ya. Nothings. There are so many of them that they just look like an ocean of darkness.

        We are losing the war that I promised we would win. I can't let more soldiers die. They are all here because of me.

        I feel a boot beside me. When I look up, I cannot hide the fear that escapes through my eyes and wavering inhale. The Darkling glares down at me. His colorless eyes make me shiver as I stare into them, anticipating what he will do to me in my vulnerable, frazzled condition. However, he does nothing but stare at me. After an agonizing silence, the Darkling offers a hand. I refuse his help and quickly push myself off the dirt. I become very dizzy as my vision spins from standing up too fast. I try to regain my composure without the Darkling's awareness, but he does notice. He takes the opportunity to speak.

        "I want this war to end as much as you do, Alina. Despite what you may think, I do not enjoy harming others."

        Yes, you do, I think. But I am too tired to retort his obvious lies.

        "Will you let my friends live?" I answer in an unintentional pleading tone. I can't lose my friends. They are all I have left. The Fold killed my parents. The Darkling killed my parents. Now I am begging him to spare the only people I care for before he takes them away too...

        The Darkling considers my question. "If you surrender to me and call off this useless war, I will let your friends live," he states calmly.

        I look around. Swords clang as they collide with opposing swords. Tears fill the eyes of soldiers who have lost their loved ones in this fight. Our numbers have decreased significantly. I have no other choice... We've already lost.

        "I surrender," I say while gritting my teeth. I bite my tongue to hold back all the insults that are dangerously close to spilling out.

         He steps closer, but before I can back away, the Darkling grabs my hand and whispers, "Say my name." I can feel his breath graze my ear. I silently curse him for making me repeat it, gloating in his victory.

        "Aleksander, I surrender," I spit out with as little sarcasm as I can manage.

This satisfies him for the moment. With the blink of an eye, hundreds of nichevo'ya dissipate into clouds of dust. It reveals the bloodstained mud and lifeless soldiers looking up at the sky. The sight of it forces me to look away. People's cries cease as quickly as the monsters disappear. The expressions of fear are replaced with confusion.

        I search for my friends in the crowd. Amongst the clusters of people is Nikolai. Somehow, his dusty blonde hair was still perfect after fighting off countless nichevo'ya. He stares at me with a knowing gaze. His eyes gave a silent warning. I hear his voice in my head telling me to keep fighting, but he also gives me a reassuring nod, telling me he has confidence in whatever decision I make.

        My gaze flickers off to the left, where I spot Mal. My heart immediately shatters when I see him. His right eye is swollen shut, and he has deep claw marks everywhere from the nichevo'ya. He looks at the Darkling's hand still gripping mine. I have never seen such hatred in Mal more than in this moment. He looks like he is attempting to rip open the Darkling with his glare. Underneath his resentment, I sense sorrow.

        Was he disappointed in me because I stopped fighting the Darkling? I hope he understands that I am doing this for him.

        The Darkling breaks the silence with his sharp, diplomatic tone. "Your Saint has made the wise choice to end the war and submit to me. I have decided to show mercy to you all today at the request of my Alina, though my mercy is limited. You will all need to swear an oath of loyalty to me before you are banished from Ravka permanently."

        "That wasn't what you said!" I protest angrily.

        "I never said that there would be no stipulations," he replied coldly as his grip tightens around my wrist.

        Everyone turned their gaze to me, looking for leadership or a plan. I yearn to yank my hand from the Darkling's and give the order to continue fighting. However, that will merely allow him to kill more innocent people.

        "Kneel and pledge your allegiance to your King and future Queen of Ravka.

        'Your King and future Queen?' Is this what he wanted when I surrendered? For me to marry him and become his queen? His little obedient wife? I can't mask the revolted look that follows.

        I give everyone a small defeated nod. Hesitantly, every man and woman lowers down on their knees. Everyone except for Mal. He hasn't moved or even shifted from where he currently stands. I shoot him a worried look, trying to get him to obey. I know that the Darkling will take any opportunity he is given to kill Mal.

        The Darkling startles me when he disrupts the growing tension. "Tracker, I would highly advise that you cooperate. You will only hurt Alina with your rebellion. Don't you think she has lost enough today?"

        He's right. I can't lose Mal. My heart would be irreversibly broken if I had to live without him. At least if Mal surrenders, I know he will be alive somewhere outside of Ravka.

        "Mal, please," I beg softly as if it's only us in an empty Keramzin meadow. As if we were kids again, two orphans side by side, when life was so simple.

        To my relief, he lowers reluctantly to the ground. We both stare at each other, realizing this could be our last moment together. I memorize every line and curve in his face, his puppy dog eyes, brown hair, and the matching scar that we got when we were kids. I remember his laugh that could fill a dreary day with sunshine. Most of all, I remember how he cared for me when I thought I was all alone.

        Goodbye Mal.

_____________
Thanks for reading the first chapter. I may not be the most skilled writer out there, but I do love telling stories, so I hope you enjoy mine. :)