A Broken Darkling

Alina's POV:

Alina's POV:

Y Eᗩᗪ IS SIᑎᑎIG. I feel guilty for the relief that has washed over me. The Chairmen can no longer hurt Amelia. Nevertheless, that does not make this right. Aleksander had those men killed. Seven men slaughtered at his hand. Did he plan this all along? It is possible that he intended to murder them from the beginning to gain unlimited power over Ravka. There are no longer any restrictions over the Darkling's judgment or his actions. He can now do what he desires without punishment. That is what I fear the most.

        I suddenly feel the need to find Genya. She will be able to calm me down. I have not seen her in a long time. The Darkling has tried to keep her busy, most likely to restrict how much time I spend with her.

        I find Genya in the servant's quarters. There are several other servants, all in white, talking with one another. I feel terrible that they are all crammed down here while I have an excessive-sized bedroom upstairs.

The fireplace is roaring on the brisk autumn evening. When Genya gazes up at me, the fire reflects in her eyes, making her look like the true warrior that she is. Her cuts and abrasions on her face have healed, except for a large scar forming across her eye and traveling to her distinguished cheekbone.

"Moya tsaritsa," Genya greets formally, glancing at the group of girls who have stopped chattering. They all curtsy but have a strange expression as to why the Queen is in the servant dormitory.

"May I speak with Ms. Safin in private?" I ask the girls.

They scatter towards the exit until the shuffling sounds cease. Genya starts to tell me something, however, I throw my arms around her in a tight embrace. We sit there for a few minutes before I part and begin to inform her of everything that has happened. She has a bewildered visage when I finish.

"He... killed the Council?"

        "Yes."

        "The Council that has been controlling the royal families for countless dynasties? They are now just... nonexistent? Why now?"

        I begin to explain to her my thoughts on the matter, however, I am just as confused as she is. "I believe that the Darkling was planning this massacre since before his reign." I pause for a moment and hold up my wrists revealing the bruises left by the white-bearded Chairman. "I-I think he was pushed to do it earlier than he intended. The head of the Council threatened me. I saw the Darkling's face when the Chairman grabbed me. There was no forgiveness behind his eyes. That must have been why he was so calm after the meeting. He had already made up his mind to kill every last Councilmember. I fear what the Darkling will do with complete control over Ravka.

"Alina, I have news for you too," Genya says. "Isaiah, the Grisha that was sent with your letter to Zoya... He made it before the Darkling's forces could find them. Your army is safe." I let out a soft weep of relief. There has not been a single moment that I have not worried about my friends. The thought of seeing Toyla and Tamar again makes me incredibly happy. Genya continues, "Isaiah informed me that Zoya is ready tonight. To finish the plan. I would have told you sooner, but the Darkling has blocked me in every way possible to see you." She pauses. "You are still certain that you will complete the plan right? When Zoya arrives tonight, you will escape the Grand Palace?"