Deceitful Queens & Devious Kings

Aleksander's POV

Aleksander's POV

I ᗩᗰ TYIG to remain calm and collected, however, it is difficult when everything that could conceivably go wrong tonight has. Well, not everything. At least I still have Alina by my side to keep me calm. I let the slim hope of Shu Han signing a peace treaty affect my better judgment. That was exactly what they wanted too. Even a toddler could see the deceit and I fell for it. I have been spending too much time with Alina. I am a fool to think that there is the possibility of peace still in a world of betrayal. I watch her talk to the Shu Princess as I talk with my own cluster of guests.

The duke of Ryevost continues to talk with me, but I hardly listen. My mind is too cluttered with thoughts of war and jurda parem and Alina. Always Alina. There is also the problem of the sobachka pest. I do not understand how he is here. I used Merzost to turn him into a monster, yet here he is mocking me with his presence, standing across the room talking to a group of women as if he is still the young prince of Ravka.

The duchesses and ambassadors surrounding Nikolai cringe as he devours his food, lapping up every crumb on his scaley fingers. It brings me some joy to know that he is not completely back to the way he was.

        My mind returns to the conversation with Duke Vinogradov. "I did not realize how blue the Ryevost skies could be. I guess the Fold's shadow continued farther than I thought it did. I was going to thank your wife for our blue skies, but I have not gotten the courtesy of speaking with her tonight seeing that every man, woman, and child wants to be in her presence." If only he knew how much trouble Alina caused by tearing down the Fold. She thought it was for the good of the people, but in doing so, she put our people in harm's way. My Alina is a lot like me when I was young. Hopeful for peace, naive to how cruel the world is; when it finds a ray of sunshine, the world destroys it. "She is a busy woman. You must cherish every moment you have alone with her."

        "I certainly do, Duke-" before I can finish I feel a pull on the tether from Alina that nearly knocks me to the ground. It feels unlike any of the last times that we have used the connection. Not only is it stronger from the added amplifiers, but it is urgent and desperate. She is scared.

        I do not want to cause a commotion by running out of the room, but Saints know I want to. I politely excuse myself from the conversation with Duke Vinogradov and go in search of Alina. She has to be close. I had just seen her talking with Princess Makhi.

After I exit the ballroom, I make sure that no one is in the hallway. There is only a drunk couple wandering the halls and they pay no attention to me. I book it frantically down the corridor, throwing open every door that is in sight. I yank on the connection, but I do not get a response. I do not get anything at all. I retrace my steps to the ballroom and out onto the many small terraces that leads out of the room. There is no sign of Alina anywhere. Despite my efforts to stay unnoticed, I most likely seem like a madman going through every door that leads out of the ballroom.