Otkazat'sya

I ᗯᗩKE ᑌᑭ TO ᗩ SᑌᑎᗷEᗩᗰ shining through the curtains and onto my face

I ᗯᗩKE ᑌᑭ TO SᑌᑎᗷEᗩᗰ shining through the curtains and onto my face. There is a small shuffling coming from across the room. I unbury myself from the covers and sit up, finding the Darkling buttoning his kefta. He looks over and sees that I am awake. There is still unspoken tension between us, but also a new understanding.

        He walks over to my dresser and grabs a box off of the top. The Darkling comes over and sets it on the bed next to me. I hesitantly open the white box and take out a black kefta. It is longer and much more intricately designed than any other keftas of mine in the past. I run my hand over the gold-threaded embroidery and soft silk.

        "You will still need to wear dresses to all public events, but this can just be your casual outfit if you'd like."

        "Thank you," I say as I look back up at him.

        "I figured you didn't want to drag a long gown down the cobblestone streets at the market.

        I let out a small laugh imagining myself collecting dirt, sticks, and rocks under my dress's train while walking outside. I noticed him give me a strange look. "What," I ask in curiosity.

        "Your laugh. I've rarely heard it, but it's beautiful. You should laugh more often."

        "I guess you should start telling more jokes then," I say with a smile. His lips curve at the thought of him telling a joke, which makes me laugh again.

***

        I walk outside in the crisp morning air in my new, kefta. It flows behind me in the gentle breeze. A guard escorts me to the Darkling's black carriage. He is waiting in the cab when the door is opened for me. I take his hand as he helps me inside.

        I spend most of the ride looking out the window. The sunrise had turned predominantly golden yellow. It makes the pastures appear to be glowing an orange hue.

        Halfway through the trip, I interrupt the silence and ask a question that I am a bit embarrassed I don't know the answer to. "Why do we have to do what the chairmen say?"

        The Darkling's posture stiffens as he ponders how to respond. He answers, "They have great respect in the public eye. The chairmen can improve our portrayal. However, if we cross them, they can just as easily turn the people of Ravka against us. Start riots and upheaval. Provide torches and pitchforks for the common folk to bring to the palace doors. There have been known cases in the past or simply a rumor being whispered in a man's ear that lead to a king's execution. It is said that the same day, the king at the time, denied a chairman's proposal."

        "Oh," I say immediately frightened. He moves to my side of the carriage and sits close to me.

        "You have nothing to fear. We are more powerful than any of those Otkazat'sya."