A True Saint

"That so-called King should not be on the throne at all, yet he dares to insult me, saying that I am useless as a ruler! He is lucky that I don't stop him at the doors right now and blind him with shadows

"That so-called King should not be on the throne at all, yet he dares to insult me, saying that I am useless as a ruler! He is lucky that I don't stop him at the doors right now and blind him with shadows. I don't even..."

        I have been sitting on the couch, listening to the Darkling rant for ten minutes now. I start to tune him out after a while until all I hear is angry mumbling. I do not dare interrupt him considering the state he is in. The Darkling does not lose his temper often, but whenever he does, there is never a happy ending.

        I wait until he has stopped raving to speak. "Well, I am not going to overthrow you, so you do not need to worry. He did not threaten you," I explain.

        "You are correct. He did not threaten me, he only called me an unloved king who would be easily replaced."

        "He also held some truth to his words," I say stupidly.

        The Darkling spins around with a malicious sneer. "What do you mean by that?"

        "The Kingdom fears you, Aleksander. You have people that are loyal to you, but it is not out of love."

        The Darkling walks over to lean on the back of the couch, towering over me. He bends forward, looking down on me when he speaks. "The people need fear, Alina. It is what keeps them from doing stupid things like overthrowing someone who can actually help the country. All any of the past kings have cared about is money and how many mistresses they can have. I may not have hundreds of chapels built in my name, but I get things done. If I need to play villain to do that, I will."

        I am not sure what to say, so I stay quiet. He remains stooped over the couch. Finally, I ask, "what was King Grimjer aiming for by talking to me alone?"

        "He most likely arranged the discussion in an attempt to turn you against me. Like I have said a thousand times before, we are stronger together. He is not oblivious to this. If he got you to turn away from me, Ravka would be weaker and prone to attack."

        I nod in comprehension. We are indeed stronger together. However, I continue to dwell on the conversation between me and the Fjerdan King. "I don't know, something still seems off. Why would he go through that much trouble just to talk to me alone; turn me against you? Why now?"

        "I've been wondering the same thing." The Darkling huff's in frustration. "He is planning something. I just don't know what," he breathes, running fingers through his dark hair.

        I am lost in my thoughts when I feel the cushions shift under the Darkling's weight. He perches himself beside me and I vaguely hear him say my name, but I am too deep in thought to pay attention. He says my name again and I snap out of it. He has a hand on my shoulder with a concerned expression. "Alina? Are you alright?"

        "Agh, yes... I'm fine. Just lost in thought."

        "You know," the Darkling states. "For how little experience you have, you were quite amazing in there. Talking with the Fjerdan King, I mean. He is not an easy adversary. Regardless, you held your own."