Lost Cause

I SᑭEᑎᗪ TᕼE ᑎE᙭T day under the protection of the covers

I SEᑎᗪ TE ET day under the protection of the covers. Decadent trays of food are delivered to my room but are sent away uneaten. My stomach cries for me to eat something, but I am too tired and depressed to bother.

        I hear the door creak open again. I am prepared for it to be another servant coming in with more useless food, but I am met with the Darkling and his annoyingly perfect features. He walks in and looks down at the full tray of food sitting on the nightstand. He becomes irritated and stalks up to the bed with a frustrated sigh. "Eat something, Alina."

        In response, I just look down at the black sheets. He grabs the bowl of green-yellow soup resting on the bedside table and offers it to me. I turn my head away similar to a stubborn child.

        "You need to eat. Starving yourself is not going to help anything."

It would get me away from you...

        I just give a weak shake of my head. He growls in frustration. "You will eat, willingly or not."

        "I'm not hungry," I murmur wearily.

        "Fine," he grunts. Before I have time to react, the Darkling jumps on the bed and traps my hands beneath his knees. He grabs the bowl of warm, vegetable soup in one hand and pressures my head forward with the other. I clamp my lips shut, which he pries open with a spoon of creamy broth. After a few more forced spoonfuls of food, I give up trying to resist.

        Only when the Darkling is satisfied with what I have eaten, does he release my hands from the weight of his body. I glare at him, but say nothing.

        "There," the Darkling says as if he is speaking with a toddler. "That wasn't so hard, now was it?"

        I just reply with a grunt. I have not made eye contact with the Darkling since he entered. He notices this and breaths out heavily.

"The hurt will go away eventually," he says gently.

My head shoots up and I stare at him in disbelief. "I would not have to hurt if it weren't for you."

He walks towards the bed in an intimidating manner. I can see his patience start to slip. "Without me, you would always hurt, Alina. Trust me, bearing eternity by yourself will hurt you far more than anything that I could do to you."

"That is not true," I grit my teeth angrily. "For the next eternity, I will see those corpses dangling from the tree. I will see Mal's body split in half by the Cut and I will see the monstrosity with similar features to Nikolai. You took everything from me," I bite back. My head starts to throb with a painful stress headache.

The Darkling sits himself on the mattress next to me. I flinch slightly when he caresses my face. "I want you to be mine and no one else's. If I need to tear you from everyone you love, I will."