The Alternative Strategy

I GᖇOᗩᑎ ᗩS TᕼE SᑌᑎᖇISE blinds me through my closed eyelids

I GOᗩᑎ S TE SᑌᑎᖇISE blinds me through my closed eyelids. I peel my eyes open to see a flurry of servants entering the room. One of them opened the curtain, letting in a burst of sunlight. Although it is blinding, the beams of light warm my skin with power as it glows a golden undertone. I roll over to find a divot in the mattress. Aleksander must have already gotten up. I am not sure if he slept at all.

        I barely have time to get out of bed before the women take off my nightgown and expose me completely. They guide me to the bath as a girl pours buckets of hot water into it.

        They are about to grab a scrubbing brush and soap when I interrupt them. "I can wash myself, thank you." The girls give me the brush and soap before closing the door, leaving me in peace. Even though it's their job, it is a bit invasive for them to wash me.

        After cleaning up, I soak in the bathtub for a minute to relax before getting out. I dress in the satin, grey robe provided by the women. I don't hear voices outside of the bathroom. Maybe they left? I open the door and gasp in shock.

        "Genya!" I say in a relieved voice. She is sitting on my bed. Her beauty and fiery red hair is visible from across the room.

        "Alina, I'm so glad to see you," she smiles. I run up and embrace her.

        "I was worried that I would never see you again," I sigh.

        Genya leans close to my ear and whispers, "We don't have much time alone. We should discuss the plan."

        I nod and gesture towards the couch.

Two weeks ago...

        "Zoya! I've been looking for you everywhere. I need to talk to you."

        She gives me an annoyed look. "If you can't tell, I am busy training an army at the moment." I gave Zoya the position to train the soldiers to fight the Darkling. She is the most skilled Grisha and fighter that I have seen. The army has flourished under her instruction.

        "Well, what is it?" Zoya takes off her kefta and wipes sweat from her forehead.

       "I want you to gather everyone to discuss a plan if we don't win the—"

        "We will win the war, Alina."

        "We cannot go into this without a backup option," I retort, concerned.

        Zoya looks disgusted. "An alternative option is only needed if we think we will lose the war. Do you lack faith in our army, Starkov?"

        "No, I have full confidence in the army. I am worried about the Darkling. I got word that he has created Nichevo'ya to fight alongside him.

        "How many?" Zoya finally seems interested in what I have to say.

        "Hundreds." I give her a bitter look. She nods in the realization that we no longer have the upper hand in numbers.

        Zoya sighs, "So what's the alternative strategy?"

        "The Darkling's ultimate goal is for me to renounce the war and go with him. I am more valuable to him alive. If I decide that we are on the losing side of the battle... I will willingly surrender to him."

        "What? Alina!"

        "The Darkling will take me back to the Grand Palace with him. I want Mal and Nikolai to sneak onto the palace grounds after I arrive. The sooner, the better. The guards will be preoccupied with my new arrival, ensuring I don't escape. When it's time, Nikolai can distract the guards. He is creative enough to divert them from the entrance while Mal sneaks in. I need Mal to keep the Darkling away while I search for the only thing I know to defeat him once and for all. He has a book about Merzost. That is what he is using to create the nichevo'ya. If I can find it, we can use it against him."

        "This plan is dangerous. We only use it if we absolutely must. What do you want me to do if we have to use the backup plan?"

        "Stay with the army and keep training them. Even though we will have Merzost on our side, we need to be at our best for what's to come."

        "I'll inform the others."

        "Just inform our friends. Not that I do not trust the Soldat Sol, but the fewer people that know, the better. There is more risk with more players."

        Zoya nods and stalks away quickly to relay the plan.

***

        Genya talks in a low voice in case people can hear us from outside of the bedroom. "Mal and Nikolai have arrived within the hour. I have found an abandoned stable for them to hide in for the time being. We had a hard time getting away from the Darkling's men. It will get word to him in a few days that the men who escorted us will not be returning."

        "I'm sorry. I didn't predict that he would resort to exile. The important thing is that you all got away." I say in a whisper.

        "I will bring the guys food and water when you and the Darkling have breakfast."

        "I'm having breakfast with the Darkling?"

        Genya nods, "I was sent here to get you ready for the meal." There is a knock on the door.

        She gets off of the black velvet couch and walks to the door. When she opens them, a swarm of assistants stream in. They are holding a dress that was clearly chosen by Aleksander. It is a long satin gown with golden sapphires intricately sewn on the top. The dress was beautiful... but black. I had not worn the color since I escaped. The first thing I did was burn my black kefta, only to be put back in one again.

        After I was dressed, Genya fixed the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep

        After I was dressed, Genya fixed the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep. She added a rose complexion to my lips and cheeks. When she held up the mirror, I did not recognize the person in the reflection. She looked like an immortal queen. It did not show the tired, young girl behind the tailoring. The truth is that's exactly what I am. I am weary of fighting, being a supposed Saint that will bring liberation to all the lands. Sankta Alina is a fable represented by a woman who would give up freedom to avoid casualties. I am not saintly, merely a girl with a heart.
_______________

Thanks for reading! The next chapter is going to be... interesting.