Unavoidable War

"We have a visitor

"We have a visitor."

        "Who?" Aleksander questions with narrowed eyes.

        Nikolai peeks his head out into the hallway to make sure no one is around and then shuts us inside the dark room. "Queen Leyti has come requesting your presence."

        "How bold of her," the Darkling says with clenched teeth. "Considering she disappeared from the party before she could be interrogated for my Alina's disappearance and is involved in a conspiracy to vanquish our Grisha. What does she want."

        "She wouldn't say. The Shu Queen wants you to hear it first. You and Alina."

        "Alina will not be going," Aleksander asserts.

        I address Nikolai and ask, "will you go get my Tailor, Lily." I look down at my ripped, dirty dress from a few days ago. "and retrieve Coraline to get me a new dress–one fit for a Queen."

        "Anything for you, lovely," Nikolai says before leaving. Once he closes the door, Aleksander turns to me and declares, "I do not want you anywhere near the Kir-Taban family. It is not safe–"

"I'm going. I am done being hidden away because it is not safe. I am the Queen– it will never be safe for either of us. I am done running."

The Darkling looks into my determined eyes for a long moment and then exhales. "As you wish." The side of his mouth curves up into a crooked smirk as he adds, "but once we are done, we are finishing what was started before the cursed knocks interrupted us."

        He is standing so close to me although we are not touching. He tilts his head down so that his lips hover unbearably close to mine. Then, the doors burst open with my seamstress, Tailor, and Nikolai.  I clear my throat and focus on the dress that Coraline has contained under a black cover. She uncovers it to reveal an elegant, floor-length gown with a poofy skirt andsleeves that fall to from the shoulders. It is certainly something that a Queen would wear and if I am going to meet with another queen that thinks I am–to put it bluntly–inadequate, I need an extravagant dress.

 It is certainly something that a Queen would wear and if I am going to meet with another queen that thinks I am–to put it bluntly–inadequate, I need an extravagant dress