Violence Begets Violence

TᕼE ᗰOᖇᑎIᑎG IS ᗪᗩᖇK and windy

TE OᖇᑎIG IS ᗪᗩᖇK and windy. There is little sunshine showing through the mass of clouds in the sky. I watch the rough ocean waves as I lean on the railing. Zoya walks up to the side and perches beside me.

"How are you feeling?" she asks.

I sigh and say, "Ask me again when I haven't just left my country in the hands of a madman."

Zoya's lips curve into a sorrowful smile. I look from her back to the vast, blue ocean. "I have gotten us far enough from land to be hidden from view at shore. Are you still wanting to go to Kerch to hide out for a while?"

"No," I pause. "I want to make a stop first."

"Where?" she questioned suspiciously.

"The Fold."

        Her head whips around to face me. "What? Alina, what could you want us to enter the Fold for?" she says angrily.

        "Not us. Me," I correct her. I do not want to drag them into the Unsea. This is something that I need to do on my own.

        "Well, it is official. You have lost your mind."

        "Maybe," I breathe. "But this needs to end. I was meant to destroy the Shadow Fold and that is exactly what I intend to do, no matter the cost. It is the only way to stop the Darkling from consuming cities, countries."

        Zoya looks at me as if I had just danced in a circle and sang a song in an unknown language. "And how are you going to do that, all-powerful Sun Saint? Have you suddenly come across a magical solution to destroy the Fold that has been missing for centuries?"

"I raise my eyebrows and say, "well... I am not sure how I will destroy it yet. I just know that I need to go to the Shadow Fold soon."

"So let me get this straight," Zoya states. "You have the sudden feeling like you need to travel into the Fold alone to destroy it, but you do not know how yet?"

"Yes."

"We're doomed."

I roll my eyes. "Thanks for the optimism."

"Optimism is not what I am known for. Especially not if our leader is about to get herself killed without reason."

"You do not know what I know, Zoya!" I begin to lose my patience and snap back at her.

"Then try to explain it to me because right now, it honestly seems like you have a death wish, Alina."

"I think Mal is the third amplifier!" I yell. Everyone on the deck stops in their tracks. Toyla and Tamar walk closer to join in on the conversation.