Nothing Happened

"I ᗯᗩS TOᒪᗪ TO SᕼOᗯ you to the King once I've fitted you for a dress

"I ᗯᗩS TOᒪᗪ TO SO you to the King once I've fitted you for a dress. He needs to approve it. Right, this way. Hera! Lily! Hold her train off of the ground so it doesn't get dirty.

        Of course, he needs to approve my dress. He is as controlling as ever.

        When I re-enter the ballroom, the Darkling is talking to the musicians about the reception songs that the orchestra will play.

        "Moi tsar, we have a wedding gown chosen and fitted," Coraline buds in.

        "Good, let's see what you've..." the Darkling trails off mid-sentence when he turns around. He looks at me like a child would at a candy store. His black, shadowy eyes trail down my dress and back up to my rose-colored lips.

        "Everyone out," the Darkling commands.

        I watch nervously as everyone rushes out of the room. Once everyone has gone, I just stand there unsure of what to do. The Darkling walks over to me with slow, calculated steps.

        "Why did you–" his lips crash into mine. His hands grab my back, shoulders, waist, neck; every place he has access to. I am in such shock that I do nothing to stop him. I'm scared to admit that there is a desire awoken in me that wants more of him. After my surprise fades, I find myself kissing him back. Our kisses are not gentle or careful. They are full of yearning and lust. I can sense his possessive nature as he holds me closer to his chest. I should be fighting back, but I find myself leaning into him further.

        When he lets go, I stumble back, trying to regain any self-control I have left.

        "Your gown looks lovely," he says before walking away as if nothing had happened.

        I stand in the empty ballroom dumbfounded by what had just transpired. I don't register the stupid grin on my face until a minute later. I immediately wipe it off before stalking off to my room. My long train drags down the hall, but I did not care.

        I need to get out of here.

        When I arrive, Genya is waiting for me. "Where have you... been," she says before seeing my wedding gown. She gasps in excitement. "Your dress is gorgeous!"

        I close the door behind me after lugging my long dress into the room. I look over on the bed in relief to see my change of clothes. It was still my black dress from this morning, but anything is better than the wedding dress I have on now.

        Your gown looks lovely

      you are immortal and hence stuck with me for eternity

        You look beautiful

     My head is still spinning after the kiss. We have kissed before, but that was different. He was manipulating me then. That was a false version of himself. This time he didn't plan it. The Darkling lost the self-control that he has had centuries to master. I can't stop thinking about him and the things he said to me.

       I'm not sure how long I was zoned out. I jump when Genya touches my shoulder. "Alina, are you okay?"

        "Hm? Oh, yeah I'm fine," I respond while stripping out of my gown and into my black dress.

        "Oh really? Then what did I just say?"

        "You told me that my dress is gorgeous."

        "Alina, I said that a few minutes ago. What happened when you were with the Darkling?" she questions in concern.

        "Nothing happened. We had breakfast and then I picked a wedding dress that I do not plan on wearing. What did you say?" 'nothing happened,' I feel bad for lying to her, but I need to focus on getting the book.

       "I said that I snuck some dried herring to Nikolai and Mal since they haven't eaten for a while. They are ready whenever you give the signal to go."

       "I'm ready. Aleksander will be occupied with the wedding coordinators for a while. I just need them to make sure he is out of my path while I search."

        Genya narrows her eyes, "Aleksander?"

        "The Darkling" I quickly correct myself before walking over to the balcony in embarrassment.

        From the terrace, I could see the Little Palace, a training area for Grisha, and a few barns for horses. One looked older and more decrepit than the others. I call to Genya, "Is that the stable that they are in?"

        "Yes, that's the one over there."

        "Perfect, I can signal them from here."

        I put my hands up and take a deep breath. Rapidly, a few bursts of light are emitted from my palms. I hope that no one noticed it but them.

        "What do we do now?" Genya asks.

        "We wait."

        A couple of minutes go by and I start to question whether they got the cue. My uneasiness is relieved when I hear a large explosion sound from outside. I listen to guards yell out to each other in the hallway. "What was that?" Multiple footsteps follow the voice down the hall.

        The plan has begun.

        I cautiously open the door to see if there are still guards outside. The hall is empty. They must have all went to see what the bang was. Good. I travel down the corridor. The book has to be in the library. The palace is like a maze with twists and turns everywhere. Finally, I think I found it.

        At the end of the clearing, there are wooden double doors that look the same as the Little Palace's library entrance. To my relief, I swing open the doors to find immense bookshelves lining every wall.

        This is going to take a while...