The Lantsov Garden

ᗩ YOᑌᑎG ᕼEᗩᒪEᖇ GIᖇᒪ came in after a few minutes

YOᑌᑎG EᗩᒪE GIᖇᒪ came in after a few minutes. The Darkling left so that she could work. The girl worked fast and silently. I tried to make conversation, but it was mostly one-sided. I did get her to tell me her name, though. It was Mira. She had delicate facial features and a quiet voice. Mira seemed to be around fifteen or sixteen years old.

She is the complete opposite of Genya. I miss Genya. I hope she is doing okay. I can almost hear her voice in my head. She would tell me that I look terrible. I smile at the thought of her boldness.

"All done." The healer snaps me out of my thoughts as she packs her bag back up and practically sprints out of the room. Was I that intimidating? More likely, it was the Darkling lurking outside of the door that scared her.

The Darkling re-enters, making the air thicken with tension, as he is skilled at doing. He stares at my mended, exposed frame for a little too long before returning to his dresser. He grabs a silk nightshirt and matching pants. Then he takes off his dirty shirt, revealing perfectly shaped abs and broad shoulders. Every line and curve on his body is well-defined. When I realize I have been foolishly gawking at his body, I look up to see a small, noticeable smirk on the Darkling's face. I blush in embarrassment and look away quickly.

Once I am in my loungewear, I slip into bed. I tense up when the Darkling gets in beside me, but I have no argument to make. It is his bed, and I am too tired to sleep on the floor. I recognize just how exhausted I am as the silk sheets engulf me. My eyes flutter shut, bringing an end to the terrible day. Even though sleep blanketed me almost immediately, my slumber was restless. Every time I close my eyes, I see blood soaking the battlefield. I watch the empty stares face the sky, reminding me of who I failed by choosing to surrender to the Darkling.

We're my intentions good in doing this, or did I secretly want to get back the power that I feel with the Darkling? Can I even pull off my plan to—

"You should be asleep, solnishka."

The Darkling startles me from my thoughts. When I turn my head, he is on his side facing me. How long has he been staring at me? "I'm very talented at insomnia," I joke half-heartedly.

"Mm, that makes two of us," he says in a deep, velvety voice. Talking with him has always been so effortless. "Come with me," he whispers before lifting himself off the bed and slipping a black robe over his nightclothes.

I sit on the bed for a moment, deciding whether I should follow him or not. Nevertheless, wherever he leads me is better than watching my friends die over and over again in my dreams. He is already halfway down the hall when I catch up with him.

I have never seen the Grand Palace at night. Usually, it is buzzing with people constantly going in and out. Now it is just peaceful and still. The silence reminds me of the orphanage when Mal and I would sneak into the kitchen for a midnight snack. We didn't know how to cook, so it was usually crackers and butter. Life was so much simpler when I was just Alina Starkov and not the Sun Summoner who is supposed to save everyone and bring peace to all countries.

I am surprised when the Darkling opens a door leading to a beautiful, well-kept garden. It has tall hedges that enclose the space for privacy. There are flowers of every color and species. The trickle of the marble water fountain drowns out any outside noise. Immediately, I know what the garden is. It was planted by the Lantsov family. Nikolai used to talk about it being his safe place to get away from "all the annoying people." He described it to me in great detail, but I don't dare bring him up with the Darkling. He hates the Lantsov prince with a passion. After all, he is the only one whose ego outshines Aleksander's. I would have thought that he had demolished the garden, given the Darkling often destroys the beautiful things around him.

The Darkling sits on a stone bench next to the fountain. He makes a gesture for me to sit beside him. The stone is cool and soothing to the touch. Sitting down makes my posture instantly relax, and my shoulders slump. The constant screams of the battlefield seem to fade away, leaving only serenity.

"I come here when I am stressed or can't sleep, which for the last century, that seems to be every night. I always see the people that I have lost and the ones that I have killed," the Darkling admits. I am stunned by his sudden openness.

"So you do have a conscience? I thought you either lost it long ago or were born without one," I respond sarcastically.

"Careful, Sankta, you are immortal and hence stuck with me for eternity. It is best to stay on my good side." He was half-joking, but there was some truth to it as well. "I had seen it in your eyes, you know."

I looked at him questioningly. "What do you mean?"

"I've seen the look of sorrow far too many times. I know you lost more than just the war on that battlefield. I know you miss your friends, which is why I have allowed Genya to stay at the Grand Palace to be your primary servant."

I look at him astonished, trying to tell if he is lying or playing a sick game, but he is being truthful. "Thank you," I whisper.

The Darkling nods. "You are welcome, my Alina."

"I am not your Alina," I respond quickly.

"But I am yours," he whispers. I stare at him, unsure of what to say. He looks back up at the bright stars. "You are welcome in the garden whenever you'd like," he says in a low tone as if it was a secret for only him and me.

We sat together in peace for what seemed like hours before going back inside. I felt much more prepared to take on tomorrow. It was going to be a hectic day planning for a royal wedding that the entirety of Ravka and foreign diplomats would attend. Tomorrow will be a good day. My final plan will begin.

However, I was remarkably wrong. Tomorrow would become one of the worst days of my eternal life.
__________________

Thanks for reading! As always, feel free to comment, react or ask questions. Also, for anyone confused, the italicized sentences are Alina's inner thoughts. <3