Desire

ᗩ ᗰᗩᑎ ᗯITᕼ ᗩ TᕼIᑕK, white mustache pulls out a piece of paper

ᗰᗩᑎ IT TIK, white mustache pulls out a piece of paper. At the bottom, there are the seven chairman's signatures. He places the parchment on the table and folds his hands.

        "I understand you are new to this, Mrs. Morozova, so I will help you understand our purpose of intervening with the monarchy's lives," his deep voice booms throughout the room. "We control the royal family's public image. This is the basis of how kingdoms grow or crumble. If the citizens of Ravka do not support their king and queen, the monarchy means nothing."

        I look over to see the Darkling clenching his hand under the table. His face remains dignified as he listens closely to the chairman speak.

        "You both already have strong support from the common class, however, the Darkling has a... different kind of support. To be frank, his backers fear him, rather than trust him. We are hoping that this union will give the people a different perspective. Your combined power will discourage defiance, yet create a sense of hope in a new era for Ravka."

        A younger man with faded red hair and a round beard stands as the other returns to his seat. "You will need to be seen as starry-eyed newlyweds in public which is why tomorrow morning you will go to the farmer's market together. It will allow you to relate with the common folk and show that the marriage is not just business-related. We also suggest consummating the marriage as soon as possible to make your relationship more personally intertwined."

        "I'm not consummating the marriage," I blurt out.

        "Moya tsaritsa, this is not debatable. All royal marriages are not complete until it is consummated," the man with the white hair states firmly.

        I open my mouth to protest further, but the Darkling grabs my hand under the mahogany table and squeezes it, digging his nails into my flesh. I get the point and seethe in silence for the rest of the discussion.

        The remainder of the conversations includes public hearings and balls that will be hosted to enhance our appearance together. Afterward, we have our goodbyes as the chairmen bow to the Darkling and kiss the back of my hand in dismissal.

        We exit the room and enter the hallway filled with people parting from the wedding. They all seem to be migrating towards a ballroom. The Darkling has a less than pleased expression as he nearly drags me to an empty hallway. He looks both ways to be sure we are alone. The anxiety builds in my chest when his colorless eyes rip into me.

        He stills for a moment as if deciding what to do next. Abruptly, he steps closer to me, backing me up against the wall. He grabs my arms to hold me there. The Darkling leans in close enough that I see all the details and lines of his iris. "I told you not to interrupt them," he says with such fury that I am stunned. I just stare at him with a blank expression. He relaxes a bit but still holds my shoulders tightly. He almost seems hurt that I would deny consummation. I can't forgive him for killing Mal and countless other enormities against me. "You wanted me once."