Prologue

Fenrys Moonbeam made a vulgar gesture towards his Queen, Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, as he laid on the floor of the training ring. He focused on his breathing, trying to lessen the pain she had just inflicted when her foot met his rib cage in a deathly strike. He groaned as he refused the hand she offered and attempted to rise on shaky legs. It had been just over three years since the Great War. Before this, Aelin had been trained by assassins from the guild, the mute master, the king of the assassins himself, Arobynn Hamel, and of course her mate and husband, Rowan Whitehorn, the most powerful fae male living. Aelin thought she should find a new trainer and asked Fenrys a few months back if he would like to fill in the position after Rowan had praised the male's skills in hand-to-hand combat. 

Fenrys seemed excited when she offered the idea despite his current attitude. The young queen was a quick learner and seemed to integrate her diverse training experiences to best her new teacher after only three months. Fenrys knew that she wasn't learning anything from him anymore but he still wanted to train with her. Despite the lack of conflict or tension across Erilia, neither of the two had slowed down their training over the past few years. He guessed her reason was the same as his. With the terrors that still haunted him, training kept his mind busy and his body exhausted, the latter assisting him to sleep regardless of his nightmares that eventually woke him throughout the night. 

The two of them had an odd relationship that only blossomed after the war, regardless of Rowan's distaste to their closeness. He had no qualms with the male, but would rather he not sneak into their room in wolf form late at night to sleep by their queen. Fenrys tried to put some distance between him and Aelin after that. He didn't want to be the cause of any issues between the mated couple. Aelin noticed right away and yelled at the both of them, then told Rowan he could sleep elsewhere if he had a problem with it. Rowan moved on from it and only snarled at him from time to time, but the male snarls at most people so it never bothered Fenrys. He considered Rowan a friend, they had gotten relatively closer after Gavriel's death. Whether that was because the mediator of the cadre was no longer around to help them or that it was the wakeup call they needed to really appreciate each other. After losing his twin and Gavriel, Fenrys had a hard time being angry at his friends, fearful that he would regret it the same way he regretted how things had been with Connall. Despite the bond Aelin had with Fenrys, the cadre were the only ones who truly understood their experiences being blood sworn to a cruel fae queen that was later revealed to be Valg.

Nevertheless, Aelin and Fenrys' bond was unlike any other and grew from the torture they experienced together. Despite the physical torture, the both of them witnessed each other's souls being continuously ripped out and stomped on. The two of them still had not revealed much to the others, not even Rowan. Rowan hated that Aelin couldn't voice the horrors that lingered in the young queen. So young, too young to have to deal with what she lived through as a puppet for the Gods. However, Rowan and Aelin had promised early on to be there for each other rather than force each other to speak of things they do not wish to. 

Aelin was grateful for every torturous minute she experienced as her gaze moved from Fenrys, who was mumbling swears under his breath, to the glorious mountains of Terrasen. Aelin had given up most of her tremendous power and fought Valg royalty to obtain the lives they had today and did not regret any of it. The past few years have been spent rebuilding and reforming. It had not been easy, but could not complain with so much love and loyalty within her court and profound peace within Erilia.

Aelin and Fenrys linked arms and walked away from the training room towards the back entrance of the castle in Orynth. They halted as they felt a dark power surge and then Lorcan as he growled "AELIN!" from the opposite end of the castle. Fenrys swiftly turned to Aelin and froze before Aelin simply rolled her eyes towards the blond fae's fear of the dark brute. "What did you do this time?" Fenrys hissed as Aelin waved a casual hand in the air. "Lorcan's always so dramatic" Aelin answered as she was about to continue their trek.

After hearing Lorcan shout her name from the other wing again, Fenrys just raised an eyebrow at her. She huffed and threw her hands in the air before responding, "Fine, I might of left him a note from Elide on their bed telling him to meet her in the private sauna when he was done training". She seemed resigned to stop there but Fenrys simply waited, his eyebrow still cocked waiting for the other part of the story she conveniently left out. He was too accustomed to her antics. She rolled her eyes before continuing, "Okay, I may have left a similar note for Manon". They both barked in laughter and were leaning on each other as they howled and struggled to keep upright. However, their hackling was interrupted with another shout from Lorcan, which indicated he had gotten closer and quickly.

"He's going to kill you and Manon might drink your blood afterwards" Fenrys stated as if they were discussing the weather. Aelin just grabbed his face and pinched his busted lip courtesy of an uppercut she landed during their training. He flinched as she gathered his blood and swiped it onto the back of her hand. "What the fuck Aelin?" Fenrys shook his head and glared at her before noticing she was squatted on the pavement drawing those weird symbols she likes . "Lord Lorcan Lochan will need to catch me before he can kill me" was her only response as the wyrdmarks glowed to life. 

Another "AELIN!" was shouted from the room they were about to enter. Aelin flinched and unknowingly moved a finger across the last symbol. Lorcan slammed the door open and met Aelin's gaze. His fury rippled from him as he found the only possible culprit behind the extremely awkward and terrrifying situation he just found himself in with Manon. Aelin and Fenrys, like the Grady twins from The Shining, just stood there expressionless before sticking their middle fingers up. The growl Lorcan released had the trees nearby quivering. Before he could do anything a portal opened up and took the two imbeciles with it. 

A/N

If you have read this far I would like to sincerely thank you for giving my fanfic a chance. This is my first time writing for leisure and I expect to have some bumps along the way. I am very open to others opinions and would love to receive constructive criticism so please do not be shy. For now, I will be posting often until at least a few chapters are up. Please remember to vote on each chapter and note that I am Aussie and might use some slang or spelling that is unfamiliar to foreigners. 

So, what does everyone think of the prologue? I wanted to write something focused on Aelin and Fenrys because I am forever obsessed with their friendship. Also, I've posted an image below of the Grady twins for those who have never watched The Shining.