31

Lucien tucked his hands in his pockets as he walked alongside Aelin. He'd been worried about her ever since she'd returned from the prison. He'd been at the house when Rhysand and Cassian returned completely shaken up. Both were simmering with rage while the latter reeked of his own vomit. It took all of Lucien's self-control not to smirk at the oh-so-powerful High Lord.

Mor had rushed over worriedly, confused as to where Aelin was but one look from her cousin had her mouth shut. He'd left the room immediately, and the house was utterly and completely silent until they all heard him draw a bath upstairs.

Not too long after, Azriel returned with Aelin, Fenrys, and Rowan. Aelin wore her usual arrogant smirk but something was off. And she too reeked of her own vomit.

No one dared to say a word as ancient power thrummed around them. One look at Rowan confirmed his suspicions. But the King's calculative gaze remained on the general as if he was imagining all the ways he could skin the male alive. The side of his lip twitched, taunting Cassian before his gaze slowly diverted, first to Feyre and then ever so slightly towards the hallway that led to the bedrooms. Cassian released a low and guttural growl and puffed out his wings.

Lucien had awaited anxiously for one of them to snap and damn them all. Rowan had not shown any signs of shock when Cassian moved to step toward him. His siphons glared, resembling ruby red blood but to Cassian, and all of their shock, Azriel stepped between them.

"Cool off brother", Azriel gripped his shoulder tightly.

Rowan continued to glare at the general. Aelin seemed content, smirking like the devil despite the fact that her rage overshadowed anyone else's. He felt it thrumming in all corners of the room, a living phantom flame, ready to pounce.

Lucien ignored the dramatics and rushed to her, "are you okay?".

Aelin slowly turned to him and he watched in concern as she blinked away her rage and a cold front locked into place.

"When we were leaving the prison, Rhysand thought it was a good idea to get inside my head".

Lucien noted how Lysandra seemed to hiss in pain. He had no clue whether that pain reflected Rhys' or Aelin's. Perhaps they both suffered.

Aedion, however, snorted in amusement, "did he enjoy the ride?"

Aelin's smirk mirrored her cousin's, "oh yes, I made sure my dear ally got the full authentic experience".

She met Mor's stare, "he dug his own grave with that one".

Lucien was surprised to see his cousin nod in understanding. She didn't argue, or fight, or unleash the wrath of the Great Morrigan. No, her face turned sour and reflected the same turmoil and hurt that crossed Aelin's face. But it all made sense when he saw her gaze linger on Aelin's body, well not her body but the scars that littered her body. And once again he was reminded of just how much pain his family caused the people around them.

One look from Mor and Cassian exited the room, fuming, but cooperative nonetheless. Azriel offered Aelin a grim smile before following his brother. After that, Aelin merely ignored everyone's concerns and made her way towards her room with the gloomy King trailing her.

And that was the last of it. No one spoke of it again.

By the Cauldron it was odd to see Aelin and Rhysand both continue on as normal. They weren't warm to each other by any means, but they had never been. They'd all spent most of their time overseeing the soldiers as they mobilised towards the seasonal courts and prepared for the upcoming war against the God of Death.

It had been a week since that night and Aelin had been non-stop. If she wasn't in meetings to discuss war strategies, or traveling between courts to oversee their progress, she'd be up all night in the library beneath the house of wind.