2

When the darkness enveloped Aelin, unrelenting terror took over. She thought she got out, that she was free. Did she not escape? She could help but watch as her memories flashed by. Fenrys saved her after he ripped himself free from Maeve's blood oath, Aelin saved Fenrys with her own blood oath, the battle in Anielle, Aelin and Dorian's attempt to forge the wyrdkeys into the lock, and the war with Erawan and Maeve. Had it all been in her head? Did Maeve make it all up? It felt so real, it couldn't have been all in her head. She can't keep doing this. 

Maeve realised early into her games that the realities she spun were pointless when Aelin's life crumbled around her. She originally showed Aelin false realities where Rowan died. She expected Aelin to be in so much pain that she would give up and submit to Maeve's requests in the hopes that it would end. 

Aelin couldn't. 

Whenever she watched Rowan die, her soul died and there was nothing she was more frightened of. Nothing could be done or said to scare her more. She couldn't feel or comprehend anything else, no matter how hard she was whipped or burnt by Cairn. She just drifted through the torture, waiting for the Gods to take pity and reunite her with Rowan. 

So, Maeve spun other realities where Aelin was happy. Aelin saw herself reunite with her friends, her cousin, her mate. She saw herself at her coronation. She saw herself settle and grow old with Rowan and the children they would have together. 

This was different though, was Maeve able to go to these lengths? The false realities she'd previously spun weren't as extensive as this but it was possible. As long as Aelin believed it and Aelin had become a sucker because she had believed it all. 

She could do this again.

For Terrasen. 

She would sacrifice herself-

She heard muffled noises outside the roaring in her head. Were those screams? She'd never heard anyone else tortured by Cairn. 

Oh gods, someone else was in danger.

If they were in the same room as her than she dreaded the notion, knowing it must be someone here for her. What if Maeve decided to include Fenrys in these sessions? Or What if someone had been caught trying to find her? Was it Rowan?

Rowan.

Please, don't be Rowan. She felt her power begin to rise. Her panic overpowered her senses, she struggled to breathe then halted.

Her power.

She could feel it.

Aelin slowly opened her eyes to see Fenrys shouting in her face, she could make out her name on his lips, over and over again. His eyes were lined with silver as he relentlessly shook her body trying to get her attention, pure panic evident in his eyes. Not panic for his safety, but her own. The roaring in her ears began to dull and she blinked before she seemed to ground herself back to reality.

She was free.

Cairn was dead.

Maeve was dead.

Fenrys is here.

Fenrys remained knee to knee with her as he held onto her arms. He blinked five times. This is real, you are awake.

She looked around to see the others frightened to move, fearful of her flames. Aelin quickly sucked in the flames she had created. Oh Gods, she thought as she met looks of pure terror. Her voice was hoarse as if she had been screaming before this. She was about to apologise when another female rushed into the room from the hallways that had been previously blocked by a wall of flames.