24

"I was surprised to hear from you today", Helion offered a friendly smile, nothing like the seductive and sensual smirk he had offered her numerously during the High Lords meeting. No, he had been nothing but polite since Azriel had winnowed her in, alongside Rowan and Lorcan who were observing military training while she spoke with their High Lord.

She'd taken him up on an offer to stroll through the grounds and Helion wasted no time in getting to know her while he openly shared details about himself. She was pleasantly surprised to learn that he was a scholar and valued knowledge above all within his court. 

He'd made her promise to come back another time and visit his many unique libraries, stating that it would require a whole day, one that could not be prioritised with a war brimming. She'd laughed before she informed him that the libraries were the most powerful and dangerous weapon in their arsenal.  

They had just left the most beautiful foyer to leisurely walk through a hallway structure with great stone pillars that were wrapped in vines. The open space welcomed a slight breeze and the warm sunlight to kiss their exposed skin.

"Yes I apologise for the back and forth, I originally planned a long visit to the Illyrian camps, but found myself eager to leave", Aelin didn't bother covering the distaste she felt towards the particular species of fae. Mostly because she did not care to, but also because she had learnt from Lucien that ties between the Day and Night Court were strong. 

Her visit today was solely based on her own relations with Helion and after meeting the shit show Rhysand called an army, Aelin was curious to know if strong relations between the two courts were based on the close nature of their geographical locations or if he truly trusted Rhysand and Feyre. She hoped it was the latter but found it hard to believe as she recalled the winged females peering at her from the outskirts of the camp. They had remained on the sides, clipped and out of the males' ways. 

"I take it you are not a fan?", Helion offered a quizzical look as the temperature around them rose. 

Aelin didn't have the energy to muster up a joke like she usually would. She still felt sick knowing that the Illyrian females had been disregarded for so long, seemingly not important enough for anyone to get involved on their behalf. 

She'd originally offered her aid in this war to ensure Hellas couldn't destroy innocent lives in Prythian, then find his way back to Erilea... but now. She wondered if there were more enemies disguised as allies.  

Her gaze remained on the path ahead of them as she shook her head slowly in response, "I've met my fair share of brutal and discriminative fae but to see it so normalised," she shook her head, "I'm questioning my alliance with the Night Court".

Helion's eyes widened in shock and they fell into a roaring silence, one that had Aelin fueling the rage she felt. He didnt expect such brutal honesty and openness about the Court that currently housed the Queen and her friends.

He bit his lip, "Its hard to make real changes when the ways of the fae are so old and well-rooted into place. If its worth anything, I always believed Rhysand meant well and truly did make the Night Court a better place."

Aelin's teeth remained clenched, explicitly hinting to Helion that his comments had not swayed her one bit and her mistrust in the Night Court remained. She did not care how stubborn and old anyone was, right was right and wrong was wrong.

The High Lord drew a large breath before attempting to change the subject. "You know I was curious to know more about you. So, after the High Lords meeting I had all my scholars search for anything regarding your world and was surprised to come across a few things." Helion drew her attention, successfully taking her mind off of the previous topic.