36

Aelin sat on the lounge in the house of wind. All of the others waiting on her response, reaction, or command. Anything really.

She hadn't said anything since they left the outskirts of the city, hadn't done anything after she cried out loud for the Gods to hear.

She just sat there, blank and utterly disconnected.

Azriel and Cassian finished checking for traces of Hellas and Tamlin but found no other traces of them. Amren returned around the same time as them after Rhysand had ordered her to strengthen the wards around Velaris.

"Fireheart", Rowan softly called as he knelt before her. The others all stood behind him, waiting on her.

She didn't move.

"Fireheart", he repeated, softly but not weakly.

Her gaze remained engulfed in flames as she met his stern gaze, "we will get him back".

There was no room for compromise, no room for exceptions, just unyielding will for his dear mate. Lucien, Manon, and Lysandra mirrored his formidable stance.

Aelin closed her eyes for a moment and attempted to find some form of serenity within the silence. She blocked out her surroundings and repeated the following, my name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I will not be afraid.

Again,

And again.

She didn't know how long they waited, nor did she care because when she finally opened her eyes, some clarity had finally returned.

She rose on steady legs and met a pair of violet eyes from across the room, "this was an act of war, one I intend on reciprocating immediately."

She met his general's gaze, "what are the current whereabouts of each court's militaries?"

Cassian was shocked to hear this tone from her. He understood that the situation was stressful, but she was not his superior. Yet she had the audacity to speak above him in front of his High Lord and Lady. Cassian peered at Rhys, noting his nod of approval.

Azriel, however, was irked and didn't wait for Cassian to receive permission, 'our allies have made steady progress mobilising their units. The Night Court, being the furthest away from the rendezvous point, requires two more days for the journey. Everyone else should be there by tomorrow at the latest."

Aelin's focused attention did not waver, not when she noted Aymee silently weeping behind Azriel, Cassian's hesitation to respond to her or the softness Rhysand now carried with him.

Aelin's eyes remained on the shadowsinger, "I need somewhere secluded to extract information".

Of all the things Rhysand could imagine coming out of her mouth. Mother help us, he thought to himself as he watched his spymaster bow in submission.

She met Rowan's gaze, then Lucien's, "our target's ready for extraction, please inform the King of Adarlan'.

One smirked in wicked delight as the latter nodded emotionlessly before they winnowed away.

Rhys was about to recover from the shock of everything when Azriel knelt on a knee before her, "for what Fenrys has done, I owe you my life. I am at your disposal; I will gladly carry out the extraction and any other bidding to better our chances in bringing him back".

A broken sob sounded from Aymee as she nodded along to his proposal, 'I am also at your disposal, I owe him my life'.

Rhys tensed as the living flames in her pupils grew more erratic, wilder. She laughed menacingly, 'I'll take a rain check, you'll want as much deniability as possible for this one'.